Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: [NSFW] Matt's Art (p40: Sketchy character lineup)

@Nisaren - I know exactly how you feel. I've set CA to my homepage, tabbed with MT, RMRK, and a few others. But every time I check my subscribed threads, I'm actually afraid to check the responses on my own sketchbook. I get priceless advice there, but it's also mixed in with people who just hate anime and aren't actually trying to be helpful. I've decided to keep drawing anime, post it here, and submit anatomy and perspective and stuff on CA. So if you're gonna get a CA account, don't post anime. It'll get struck down pretty quick unless you've got Sutari's skill level or greater.

@Shaman/Synn/Blackmage/etc. - Wasn't that your first post in this thread, though?

@Cyp - Will do. I tried some studies yesterday, but I was distracted by video games. Commencing clothes studies now . . .

@Rio - Hey, your tutorials have gotten better! And they were pretty good to begin with. I confess to only skimming them after reading them all through the first time. Looking them over again is very helpful. Thanks.

And this:
    On a side note, you should never color your original work in such a small scale. It is better to start at a large canvas size and later reduce the image file (Image > Image Size/Scale Image) at a later date if you need to.
    Is great advice. OC told me something similar on the old forum, and ever since, my line quality has grown exponentially (apparently. In reality, my lines are pretty bad, but this trick makes them look a lot cleaner).

--

I know I should be doing some clean stuff, but all I have to show after a weekend of having a fever and four snow days is this crap:

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Well, that's an interesting perspective shot. I like how you're looking down on it... lol
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Very accurate perspective. Great job. But now try to apply it to a piece, which is actually the hardest part, esp. when it comes to characters and composition.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    ^^^
    Agreed. It's the scaling of everything put together that's the hard part.

@ Matt
    You're welcome! You should look back every now and then just to refresh yourself. You may find yourself picking up something you missed the first time. I know I've had that experience with some drawing books I've read. C:

Anyways, about the people you drew, I feel like you're cutting the back of the skulls a bit short in your profiles but especially at most of your 3/4 views. Also... the helmets. Please make them look more 3 dimensional. They look like they're just do rags that completely hug the head. Helmets are thick. There should be a distance between the head and beyond. Think of turtles. Their shells protrude out and you should aim for that as well when drawing your helmets.

Those suits...Inspired by the 'Octopus Squad', no? Anyway, the perspective is interesting but like the posters above have said, let's see this understanding presented in an actual piece i.e. a city street.

Nice work, boss.

Actually, I drew them with reference from Counter Strike: Source every time my brother died and I could see his character. Come to think of it, they do look like Octopus Squad people, though.

I'll try an applied perspective piece when I get home. Sounds like fun.

Oh, and here's a 4Koma about Sierra:

The red eyes and gray everything else make it look kinda gothic. I wasn't aiming for that. I'll try something else in the next few strips.

EDIT: Yes, that's Sutari's manga on the poster on Sierra's wall. I didn't draw that.
    Last edited by Matt; 02-05-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Lol, I saw this on Tumblr.

Nice work, man. XD

101 Dalmations Member angel_dreamer13's Avatar
    that is so true. XD

The guy has a glove and the girl has a torn sweatshirt with bandages. Characterization for no particular reason, as I drew these people randomly and have no idea who they are.

I'm aware that my realism is extremely bad. Time for some studies.
    Last edited by Matt; 02-09-2011 at 10:14 AM.

You know, in some ways. I find realism a lot easier than other stylized versions of art. Using references when drawing something makes it a lot easier. You always have something to compare what you've drawn. But what I find difficult about realism is that it's incredibly tedious to do well. If you want to do realism well, you need to really develop your patience and push yourself to continue working on a piece until it looks the way it should.