Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: [NSFW] Matt's Art (p39: Pokémon's Leaf, and foreshortening)

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Everything's pretty sketchy, but for the most part it looks good. The one thing that I notice that is a bit of a problem is that you're starting to fall into the trap of snout-face when drawing people in profile. Try and define people's jaws a bit more.
    My CC thread - Updated 01/30/14
    My AA thread - Updated 03/04/14

Define jaws? Done.

EDIT: Fixed eye position, shading, and some hair.
    Last edited by Matt; 06-18-2012 at 07:40 PM.

I think the top/back of his head is a little long, like his skull is abnormally shaped underneath. And his ear is just a little big. But your painting style is reminding me of iccys, and i think its the stringy highlights in the hair (which isnt bad at all, that style is awesome)

I think I can fix that. The head, that is. I'm not sure I'm skilled enough to get the ear down to size without messing the rest up.

looks better! Though, there's still one thing I like to point out there. His chin and eyes don't match up. the chin and mouth is placed as they're pointing down while the eyes and the top of his head appear as they're pointing up (in this picture, straight forwards). It would work if the mouth was open. But since it isn't it looks rather weird. Though it may just be me XP

Really nice art though! Looks realistic in its way and it really well coloured and shaded.

Watch me on: Twitter, Facebook and DeviantART

Eh, I dunno - the facial features look okay to me, but it's hard to tell with the eye when it's obscured by his hair. Personally, I think I'd move the tip of his nose a little further out from his face, but I don't think it's a big deal.

His neck seems very long though - to my mind, his shoulders ought to be higher and closer to his head. It's probably a bit stockier than what you're after, but have a look at this if it helps any:

http://www.posemaniacs.com/archives/1621

Thanks, both of you.

Derpy strip of Siren Song, mostly exposition via dialogue. I think the text is easy enough to read this time, so I won't type it all out again.

It looked much cleaner on paper.
    Last edited by Matt; 06-26-2012 at 06:48 AM.

Cover concept. Dropped because it's horrible by design standards, not even taking the art level into consideration. Colored and stuff because I was half done anyway.

Siren Song is brutal fantasy. The colors are too saturated for the genre and there's absolutely no point to their positioning or poses (or lack of). It's character-driven, but I feel like the characters are out of place. Illyana, the dark-skinned girl, is supposed to be thirteen. I think some realism studies of children's facial structure are in order. That aside, the other girl, Siren, needs to be a bigger part of the picture if she's going to be there at all.

That aside, Illyana's face and head are on two different planes.
    Last edited by Matt; 06-26-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    You sort of critiqued your own stuff there, Matt. I must say I like the hair. With a few less lines and a bit more shading it would look super-fantastic. I think.
    My CC thread - Updated 01/30/14
    My AA thread - Updated 03/04/14

As a cover composition, I don't think it's too bad, but (unless you intended to put in a background) I would crop it much, much closer to the two figures - maybe even just into a portrait shot showing head & shoulders.

From a graphic design point of view though, please don't put a bright red line around black text like that. I don't mind Trajan as a typeface, but that red stroke is horrible. If you want the text to stand out, I'd suggest using a lighter colour in the same range as the background.