Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [NSFW] Matt's Art (p39: Pokémon's Leaf, and foreshortening)

Teen Member
    i really love your 2nd pic which made by Dip Pen ^^
    i think the 3rd pic is good too (since i can't draw in computer), but i think the fingers are too small O.o
    i really wanted to see more pics! >w<
    moar, moar! XDD

http://www.mangatutorials.com/bb/vie...1b61fbaf3032cf

^ I'd post more, but all my art's going there for now. If that site dies, I'll move my base of operations to here.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    She's closing it at the end of the month dude.

Well, that sucks. Everyone liked the old forum better. Ah well. I s'pose I can switch over.

Akiria, from Angel Hunters. I can't draw wings. The feathers inside give me so much trouble, so I always end up not drawing them in detail.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Meh, I like this one OK...

And yeah, wings BLOW. I've nearly scraped a character over wings, but they're too much fun too use (plot wise). And for you especially (them being angels and all). I'd also work on the feet. The ankles seem fine, and proportionally the feet look OK. But the way she's on them is weird. The perspecve makes it look like she's standing on her "tippy-toes" and the toes shouldn't be like that if she is. They'd be under more preassure.

As I understand it.

Here. I drew some rocks.

Used Photoshop, took me a ton of layers and about half an hour. And it still fails because, like my pencil sketches, nothing's really clearly defined. Rocks aren't like that. They look like abbreviations of true digital paintings.

Nice to soo you are going into the Painting area. I see you are using blur alot on the rocks on the first PS pic.

Its good to use, but you still need to make a shape of the rock. Rocks arent made of air, so dont make it look like it blends with the air like that, you still need to cut an edge, I would suggest making more reflectioning to the stone, but dont overdo it, else it would look more like flint, and i dont think that is what you want. but acturally, i can't crit you on this one as it looks like a product streight from ya mind.

Overall, you progression is amazing. Thumbs up to you matt.

Meh. I have no idea why I started doing rocks all of a sudden, but realism and such came from joining Conceptart.org. I wanna improve my moe style so much that it becomes the best in America.

Thanks, Fabiafidus. Good to see you over on this forum as well. Now all we need is Sutari back, since OC's already announced he's leaving.

Oh, and here. Have my Miri:

*I slacked off on drawing your Rique, but I got a better idea halfway through and scrapped my original idea. Look forward to something worlds better than that crappy sketch I did before.

*Seefy, I still owe you a redo with Isaac and Miri, since I got my new Miri design out.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Heyheyhey, Mattieu! (SWEAR I'M GONNA HAVE A CHARACTER WITH THAT NAME NOW, THANKS FOR NOTHING.) Let's play a funfunfun game called Catchup!

Used Photoshop, took me a ton of layers and about half an hour. And it still fails because, like my pencil sketches, nothing's really clearly defined. Rocks aren't like that. They look like abbreviations of true digital paintings.
    Actually, you'd be surprised. You're on the right track. Here you've used big strokes to define the large ideas in the painting first, which is actually doing things the right way. From here on you can use finer (and perhaps textured) brushes to further identify the "details" of your piece. Line economy (how much visual information is conveyed with each stroke) is something a lot of beginning artists struggle with--making big shapes then working their way up to littler shapes seems to be a challenge for most. Here with the rocks, you did a good job of avoiding starting to draw all the crags in the rock. Granted, like you said, it looks like an "abbreviation"--but it's actually not quite an abbreviation. Just unfinished. ("A work of art is never finished; it is merely abandoned"?) Don't worry about using one-pixel brushes and all that to get all the details down later.

For instance, though he doesn't use a style that would generally appeal to you, I think that you should definitely take a half hour or so to look a little through Zhuzhu's Deviantart gallery. His work is really important to check out because his line economy is flippin' fantastic. If you look at the thumbnails in his gallery, all the images look super detailed. But when you click on the image (for instance, the cat one on page one), you realize that it's not actually even close to photorealistic detail--just carefully placed lines. On the cat image, you see that he uses a single stroke of a brush with a screentone on it to define the dots on the cat's face where the whiskers are. That is skill. Most people would generally try to randomly stipple out 30 dots on that poor cat's face whereas Zhuzhu says screw it, and gets it all done in one stroke. Genius. Even in his beginning stages of color blocking you can tell exactly what's going on before he adds any airbrushes or texture brushes.
    Sorry for all that blather; I just envy that man.

So what I'm getting at is that you don't really need to worry about the way that these look, because you're on the right track. The only semi-problematic thing I sense is actually the grass. You color blocked the green, then you immediately went right in with the one-pixel and started doing individual blades. (Here'a a good image of grass that doesn't use tiny brushes. Just big blurred sweeps.)

*wipes forehead* Whew. Rocks out of the way. NEXT--!

Semi-realism. Actually, you're off to a proper start here, too. The eye is a little small, but don't worry; the more realistic I try to make my images, the smaller the eyes get, too, for some reason. OTL Just try blending your colors a little better with the Alt key (I'm pretty sure that's the eyedrop shortcut key, haha. Tell me if I'm wrong). I rather like the color palette here. My only complaint with it is that maaaybe the skin could use a bit more blue. Mayyyybe. (Not an expert on coloring this sort of stuffitystuff.)

New Miri. FIRST. LOOK AT THIS LINK. Lots of pretty references with long, long hair, should you be inclined to need actual photographs. Here are some ones you might like off the top of my head: [x] [x] [x] [x] With all that over, she's looking quite good! I do see some Haruhi, now that you mention it, too. I like the different outfits, too! And trust me, you could never owe me anything. <3

Done!

(Aodidilfgilsuhashhh, someone needs to kick me--I TALK SO FREAKING MUCH. It's just that I'm so analytical with images. When I look at something, my mind goes a million miles an hour trying to sort it all through.)