Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: [NSFW] Matt's Art (p39: Pokémon's Leaf, and foreshortening)

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Don't worry about not having colored anything. Just think about me, haha. Also, I am pretty much the most Sai-illiterate person on the planet (I've tried it a few times and just can't understand it! OTL) But from what the tools sound like, you might want to try them. Just experiment around and see what you like best.

As for the new thing, I can still see that legs are your biggest struggle. It should come in practice, so don't fret too much. For the style practice, I think the bottom right is very Angel Hunters where the one above it seems to work well in Naomi's story.

Cool style practice. Like CF said; You should play around in SAI and see what tools you want to use. I use the Pen tool, but I haven't done any drawings in SAI for a while (been working using Drawing on the....).

I love the pen tool in SAI. I use it for both sketching and doing the final linework. For sketching I just reduce the opacity to around 25% which seems to give me a sketchy feel, then when I want to do linework I raise the opacity to around 80%. For some lines that really need a smoother look I use the vector pen tool. Just keep using it as Sonny said and you'll find the tools you like the best.

Sorry to jump on the SAI convo and not comment on your art. I also liked the bottom middle drawing the best, I think it's how the eyes were drawn more than anything. They're still such a pain for me to draw.

@Nisaren - Eyes have been a problem for me recently, but not before. Maybe, using the vector tools I've never touched before, I should do the outlines and then fill them in.

@Son - . . . Right Side of the Brain? I played around with the tools and settled on a 5px pen on a 2000x2000 canvas.

@Seefy - Leeeeegs . . . ouch. Time to take out the anatomy books.

So, Sai bugged up on me and I was forced to use Photoshop for this whole picture. It was good all through the sketch stage, then my failing at lineart and coloring showed through.

The Sai problem: my cursor snaps back to where it was when I opened the window every time I lift the pen or mouse off my tablet. Same thing happens with a normal mouse. Any fixes?

Ooh, I like the torn details of the shirt and the color choices. The pose is good, but watch out for her left leg--it looks like it needs to be wider to connect to the hip. Also, her hand is rather tiny. Nice to see you try shading again, too. The texture you made on the shirt is great, but for the skin, et cetera, make sure your shading doesn't solely "hug" the lineart. It'll make your work look flat.

This is definitely one of your better practices!

Matt: Yeah, Drawing on the right side of the brain xD How far have you come?

I like the drawing, but it's a bit stiff DX

@Seef - Kay.

@Son - My mom and I are both at a standstill in the book because we don't have the materials required to go on. My mom says we should wait and get the proper stuff so that we can learn exactly what the author intended, and I guess I sorta went along with her. I really wanna finish it. Realism is getting less and less boring for me as time goes by, and most jobs for artists in the real world require something other than the ability to draw cute anime girls.

I'll work on stiffness.

Oh, and here's my first update in a long time:

Where've you been lately? <3 Busy, I'm sure! I missed your art.

Oooooh I love love love what you did with the hair and eyes. You're definitely getting better with detailed coloring with highlights and with shaping the hair. I would suggest using deeper shadows altogether, though. White hair is kinda hard to do because it's easy to make it look grey if you're not careful with shadow placement. I also think the pose is really great. It's very expressive, too, which is awesome. I'd say to watch out with the foreshortening on the arms, though; it seems a bit extreme.

Also, what about the Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain don't you have the materials for? I've never read the book, so I don't know the format of the exercises or anything. XD And is your mom doing it with you too? That's pretty awesome. My parents are the least artistic bunch of duds I've ever met, haha.

I've been being lazy, and I have no excuse. Epic music and epic pictures reminded me why I started drawing to begin with, and now I'm going at it full force.

@second paragraph - Got it. As usual, it might take me awhile to completely apply your advice, but I guarantee you, I always at least practice the advice I'm given.

@third paragraph - Something with foreshortening; you need transparent plastic (or something) and a thin-tipped sharpie (I think), and we have neither. I recommended we use our dining room window and a dry-erase marker, but no. Mom sorta waved it off. We're never gonna finish the book at this rate, though, so when I get home today I'll get the book out again.

My mom has the problem where she's overly modest about her artwork. She's a painter. Not the best, but definitely better than I am. She thinks she's worse than me for whatever reason. My dad is good with technical drafting, and therefore, his stick figures are the smoothest, cleanest stick figures I've ever seen.

Two pictures in a day, fully colored. Yes, I promise you, I'm Matt. I'm not an imposter.

Working on Naomi's Story and Angel Hunters again. I'll have a new release within the week.

Ooh, interesting idea. This is a tough one to critique, because I'm not really sure how I'd draw it myself. XD I think you need to work on making the clouds have depth (some clouds being higher than others in the atmosphere) and making them look more transparent. Have you tried using a scattered airbrush for that?

And YES YES YES, STORRRRRIIIIEEEES! :'D