Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: [NSFW] Matt's Art (p39: Pokémon's Leaf, and foreshortening)

I should update more than I have been. I finally kicked that epic three-month art block away. That should help.

Happiness = success isn't always the case, but it definitely helps. Be positive. Emo-ness will get you nowhere.

I couldn't agree with you more. With some risk of regurgitating what I already said in this thread, the only way you can get through art block is to just draw. Most of the time, art block stems from feelings of dissatisfaction or fear. Dissatisfaction with how one's art compares to the art other people are producing and fear that others will tell you how bad your art is (usually because you're not happy with the piece yourself). The only way you can get around this is to improve, and the only way to improve is to practice.

I can't think of an instance where being negative has helped anyone to do anything. Being positive rather than negative boils down to a simple choice that we all have. Obviously it's not always that easy, to just choose to be positive and sometimes negative thoughts just pop up. But you can build a habit of being positive just like any other habit. And you wouldn't believe the ramifications that having an optimistic outlook can have on everything. Health, both physical and mental, social life and how you are able to work with others in general are affected by your outlook. No one wants to hang around with the person that only spouts negativity.

Have you ever heard of the "Law of Attraction"? I find it a rather fascinating concept. You should check it out, you may find it interesting.

At any rate, sorry for rambling. The hands are coming along nicely. I personally have found that drawing hands as one of the first things has really helped me. Usually I would save them for last and I'd be tired or bored of the piece by then. So I wouldn't put as much mental effort into it. Doing them first, I find mentally I'm fresher for drawing them.

I've probably heard of the attraction law. This "positive mindset" stuff is nothing new to me, as I heard about it when I first started, but I've started to realize just how important it is. Writing stuff like Angel Hunters, in which I depict adorable lolis being shot and maimed and stuff, I do tend to lose a bit of happiness. I don't know what it is about writing that's easier for me than drawing, but HOW I write plays a part in my art.

YES, it's good to do hands sooner than later. I just figured that out yesterday and wish I'd have figured it out years ago. Also, learning to perceive (see Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, by Betty Edwards) and drawing with reference FROM YOUR OWN HANDS can help as well. More than half the hands up there, I drew based on my own. For my right hand, I'd set the pencil down and look at my hand, or just take the mental image of my left and reverse it. I'm actually really surprised how easy hands are for me now. I know I'm still messing up and not drawing them right in a lot of places, but that can be fixed with repetition.

I wonder why it is that just now, three years into my art journey, I'm applying the mentality aspect of drawing. I should have done it years ago and maybe I'd have Golden Summer done by now. But it doesn't do any good looking back. All I can do now is work as hard as I can to make up for the lost time.

Maybe if I bump up the quality of my daily sketches, my "finished" stuff will improve too.

I've always been a fan of more finished sketches... if that makes any sense. I think both the drawings of girls need to have necks. I know that they are shrugging their shoulders... but the way it's drawn it looks less like shrugging and more like you just plopped the head directly on the shoulders. When someone shrugs, the shoulder comes up and in so they should actually be narrower than if they were just normal. Think of the collar bone (clavicle), it's length basically dictates the length of the shoulder. When you shrug, the collar bone will rotate up towards the ears so you can judge where to put the shoulders using that. As it is right now the shoulders make them look rather bulky, unless you were going for that.

I was actually going for perspective shots at first, then I failed. Thanks for the tips.

More low-quality sketchbook stuff, because I was busy reading Touhou doujins yesterday.

A cover concept for Angel Hunters.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Those higher quality sketches are looking very, very nice! AND THE HANDSSSSS. OTL *h8* <33

You should definitely color the AH cover, because I really like the atmosphere.

(Ohmygosh, I've been gone for so longggggg.)

YESYOUHAVEBEENGONEFORSOLONG.WHEREHAVEYOUBEEN? My school just blocked Tumblr for some reason, so this is the best place I have left. I envy you people with high speed at home.

Well, the school's not all bad. For some reason, they left torrent sites unblocked, so I can get all my usual unlicensed anime and games not released in America.

I'm gonna color the AH cover in a few minutes because I finally brought my tablet to school. I'll post it when I finish.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Here's the WIP. Anyone got tips on the colors? I really need help in that area. Some help on textures to use for the water and the ground would be helpful, too, because otherwise I'll end up attacking them with the smudge tool, which is sorta like hitting an armored knight with a wiffle bat.