Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: [NSFW] Matt's Art (p39: Pokémon's Leaf, and foreshortening)

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I already cleared this up with Josh elsewhere, as did Linz. Nothing more to see here.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Heres my Red line crit,

Just to expand on it, this is quite a tricky shot that you chose. It would be better to use perspective grid to help guide the overall image. The way I figure out the perspective in your image was using the 2 torso of the 2 character as I believe they should both be parallel to one and another.

As you can see once that is plotted out, you can see where most of the off perspective objects are, which are the back ground trees mostly.
    I see the rules of third being implied which is a good thing but I find it to be a bit blank in the sense that I'm not really sure what to focus on when I look at the image. There really isnt much that really stand out at first glance.

A suggestion would be to increase and exaggerate the size of the tree girl. Also block off the bg abit as we are primarily focusing on the 2 girls.

I wont critique on your colouring as something like this, I dont know how to critique ^^; Maybe if you work on another colouring piece Ill critique it for you but for now, things are just really flat looking. A scene such as this require some knowledge of lighting to pull off the colours right of the top of your head. Trying using some ref in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    Josh, I personally feel like this is not constructive critique but rather criticism. Personal characters DO matter in the long run, maybe not to you, but to a lot of people their OC's are their muse, their own creation that inspires them to draw. Your last statement is condescending and unnecessary. I don't know if you're trying the 'tough love' route, but whatever it is you're doing its not constructive nor helpful. If I received your 'critique' i'd be feeling pretty low about myself right now. I'm sure you would be too, have a little empathy. You can give constructive honest opinions and critiques without sounding like a know it all asshole.
    He is giving his honest opinion and there is nothing wrong with that. He said it bluntly without sugar coating and what he said was true: characters are important later on, but if you aren't improving in your technical skills as much as you should be then it doesn't matter at all. Personally I think Matt has improved, but if he focuses more on testing out different coloring styles, focuses more on anatomy and perspective and what have you like he's trying to learn, he could be learning so much faster. He even said he's not really happy with his coloring style, why doesn't he focus on that instead of his characters?

If you're not able to take a bit of criticism without compliments and a ton of sugar coating, then that's ridiculous. You should be worrying about what you can do to better your art. Like there's nothing wrong with being nice when giving criticism, that's still really good and motivational. But sometimes people prefer to be blunt and you just have to deal with that and learn from whatever they're trying to tell you. It's obvious they care about your improvement enough to give you said criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylux
    You still sound like an asshole, but whatever.
    It's funny because you haven't said anything worthwhile or helpful at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    It's funny because you're a cunt.
    Infracted. Watch your language twat.

Quote Originally Posted by Joosh View Post
    In my honest brutal-as-fuck opinion you spend so much of your time on these characters and not improving your actual drawing skills.
    These characters don't matter in the long run if you're aiming to actually improve as an artist, because you've stagnated for a really long time now.

But I don't know, maybe this is just a hobby for you
    I'm a writer. I draw as a hobby now.

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    If I received your 'critique' i'd be feeling pretty low about myself right now.
    A little, admittedly, but I've said all I needed to on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Linz
    I would recommend that you give her a more defined human silhouette, look at it as a black flat shape.
    Will do. Thanks. She really does look like a lump.

Quote Originally Posted by corastaur View Post
    I'm pretty sure the way you draw hair is a stylistic choice, but [...] it just feels a bit stringy. In my experience hair tends to clump together in sections rather than separating into individual strands. (Curly hair is a GREAT example of this b/c, when the hair is cared for, it really clumps together into individual coils or curls with varying levels of definition)
    You're absolutely right, and I'm glad you brought that up. Quick question, though: for greasy, poorly kept hair, is it all right to keep it stringy, or should I still make it clumpier? (About style--I'm not settled on anything, so I'm open to anything that would make my art look better.)

Quote Originally Posted by doghateburger View Post
    [Picture omitted for space.]

Just to expand on it, this is quite a tricky shot that you chose. It would be better to use perspective grid to help guide the overall image. The way I figure out the perspective in your image was using the 2 torso of the 2 character as I believe they should both be parallel to one and another.
    I actually didn't use a perspective grid at all, but I'll definitely use one in the future. Eyeballing it will only get me so far.

Thanks. Your critiques are always really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by toast View Post
    [...] if he focuses more on testing out different coloring styles, focuses more on anatomy and perspective and what have you like he's trying to learn, he could be learning so much faster. He even said he's not really happy with his coloring style, why doesn't he focus on that instead of his characters?
    To be fair to you and Josh, I shouldn't have posted my writing progression in my art thread.

I haven't improved my art like I used to for a few reasons:
    1. I'm an English major and I'll teach writing classes when I graduate.
    2. I like writing more than drawing and have a book 75% ready for publication.
    3. I'm honestly just lazy; after getting high-speed Internet, my productivity took a dive and I found myself unable to muster the motivation to draw when an 18-year backlog of online games, Youtube, Skype, torrents, Adventure Time, and Wikipedia all sat at my fingertips.

That last one is inexcusable and I'd love to go back to the way I used to be, where even if I liked writing more, my art still improved at a respectable pace.

Quote Originally Posted by toast
    If you're not able to take a bit of criticism without compliments and a ton of sugar coating, then that's ridiculous.
    It's more helpful to tell people what they're doing right and wrong, but I agree that sugarcoating is unnecessary.

-

I'll draw much more this summer. I'm at a point where, despite my future plans and my laziness, I just want to draw better.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I'll post what I did to Josh over Skype in response to his post without arguing back and forth like butts.

[5/9/2013 1:18:54 PM] GunZet: I've seen, and I can agree on some points, but others I think are highly skewed.

Such as views and opinions being sugarcoated, views can also be covered in spiders and coffee, which may be yours.

a lot of times the most brutal opinion isn't the truth, it's not the best, sometimes they don't even make sense, and often come from either the highest tier of artists, or the lowest, the ones coming from the higher tier considered more valid due to their skill level, when infact those artists may just want to keep you where you're at rather than build you up.
    [5/9/2013 1:19:48 PM] GunZet: The best brutal opinion is constructive criticism, something all artists can agree on. It not only tells you what you need to correct and work on, but it doesn't completely crush an artist at the same time, and it is often the truth. I think you're biased due to the community you hang around with, the same way MT may be biased on 'sugarcoating' things.

[5/9/2013 1:22:26 PM] Josh:
    How should I word that he should be focusing more on studies then drawing oc's, then

[5/9/2013 1:25:20 PM] GunZet: Technically you shouldn't, because it all depends on what the artist wants to do. What if Matt suddenly decided to master cubism? Would you tell him he needs to work on his anatomy more, in comparison to what Pablo Picasso was doing? I wouldn't think so.

Just let him keep doing what he's doing if he seems content with where he's at.

BUT as everyone is entiteld to speak their opinion, you could just tell him simply what you think are the strengths and weaknesses in his figures, currently, rather than how long he's been utilizing a certain style or such. He has plenty of time to improve at his own pace, but it's his decision truly.
    So to prevent further cluttering of Matt's thread with useless arguments, I'm going to point out that he is exactly correct when he says "It's more helpful to tell people what they're doing right and wrong, but I agree that sugarcoating is unnecessary."

You don't give a critique in an art class by telling them only what's wrong in the most soul-crushing way possible. No, you tell them what you like, and how the piece could be stronger. Don't get a good critique confused with sugarcoating, people.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    I'll post what I did to Josh over Skype in response to his post without arguing back and forth like butts.

Oh, hi. Been 5 months. Here's a bit of what I've been doing:

-Counter-Strike
    -School
    -This:

SPOILER! :

(Spoiler for size.)

I know a little about cover design, but not enough. What can I do to make more potential readers click the thumbnail short of drawing boobs on the cover?

Ohhhh,hello old friend. :P Nice to see your trying to balance your art and writing and stuffs :P

For the cover,Id recommenced that you keep the Text,but:

1. Add a background to justify the title. Fantasy book = fantasy like background.
    2. Use contrast between the words and background. You can do this by making the words,say red,while the background can be gray or less saturated black then the title.
    3. Be creative with the title art,stylelize it towards your topic or just change the font type,make it more appealing unless you wanna keep it that way. (Personally I like the title just the way it is. )

4. Maybe change "prompts" into "topics" or something easier to understand. "Prompts" to me,sounds like essay stuff,idk.
    Last edited by tag654; 10-10-2013 at 11:06 PM.

I wish I had the time and energy to write a better and more helpful response, but I have to wake up early so... In addition to what tag said I'm going to leave some of my favorite book covers in the spoilers. Its my opinion that simple is best - "keep it simple stupid" - but you need it to stand out as well. Colors that pop against each other are best. But the type of cover also depends on the kind of book. (I love books in case you couldn't tell...) Young adult fantasy books tend to have more detailed imagery. TEND to, but dont always. Think harry potter, or percy jackson. Whereas hunger games, divergent, and graceling are a slightly more simplistic. Young adult books that are less fantasy but aren't the really girly books (I'm looking at you princess diaries =-= ) tend to have more simplistic covers. My favorite examples are John Green's book covers. I'm going to post all these under spoilers because these are the books I genuinely love. I know we always say dont judge a book by its cover, but thats totally not true. There are plenty of books that I have not given a second glance to because of their covers...

SPOILER! :

fantasy:
    SPOILER! :

just for fun:

[IMG]http://api.ning.com/files/BfJIQarv7Anu*u*5SDcrOgfEZPmDtGDnAJ1ARWxeixXALyrmmT yLmeG2M484bJ-Y9zpFehZrKxZnJifw6YvGbvR9vI4LKs-H/divergent_hq.jpg[/IMG]

Less fantastical:
    SPOILER! :

So basically, it may be helpful to look into what kind of book covers are used in the book's genre and then decide how you want to approach it. You can either try to conform to what is conventionally used, or you can try to be different. Hope that was helpful...
    Attached Images Attached Images