Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: [NSFW] Matt's Art (p39: Pokémon's Leaf, and foreshortening)

They look really good, I really like the movement of the fabric and the hair in the first one! However i'm not really sure what is going on with the held up hand in the bottom one and the thumb on the gun looks a little odd, so instead of trying to explain it badly here is a ref;

The kombucha mushroom people, sitting around all day.

@Bunnyvoid - Thing is, my lack of realism before was detrimental, and this is the way my art should have been all along--and should improve from there.

@Demon - I knew something was off there. Thanks for pointing that out (and for the reference pic).

So I was derping on Groupboard and Liebe was drawing a succubus. At that time, I found a drawing prompt: "Draw something that would never happen in fantasy." So I drew a succubus--in place of the stereotypical evil overlord--holding the stereotypical pure heroine's decapitated head.

NSFW: R-15G
    SPOILER! :

She's dark-skinned for three reasons:
    1. Contrast.
    2. My cynical side reminded me that heroines are always, without fail, white.
    3. My fantasy's canon has several dark-skinned races for various other reasons, and the heroine here happens to be among them.
    Last edited by Matt; 12-26-2012 at 02:17 AM.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    SPOILER! :
    Well, you have to also consider that non-white protagonists do exist, and when they do, what is pictured above happens—they die. So, this is, although harshly put, predictable to me, because it's just a little reminder that whites usually do come out on top in the media, whether it be through the antagonist or protagonist. That sounds a little nitpicky, but think about it: In mixed-race plots, how often does the non-white win? And on top of that, how often are they the protagonist?

I am also just sensitive to this phenomenon, because people who look like me have few media heroes that look like us to look up to.

(And when the protagonist is supposed to be non-white, the role is often altered to accommodate a white actor. For instance, why on earth is Johnny Depp allowed to play a Native American man onscreen in The Lone Ranger, as if there aren't any Native actors?)

I like the way your coloring style is developing. It's really sharp, which is pretty opposite of the style I was guessing you'd go for when you were first starting out. I like the color scheme of it all, and the demon's outfit is nice. It's simple, but still interesting to look at.

Watch out for the feet, though. It looks like the sizes of the toes are configured backward on both of her feet in this image, like the big toes are on the outside edge of the feet.

SPOILER! :

Well, you have to also consider that non-white protagonists do exist, and when they do, what is pictured above happens—they die. So, this is, although harshly put, predictable to me, because it's just a little reminder that whites usually do come out on top in the media, whether it be through the antagonist or protagonist. That sounds a little nitpicky, but think about it: In mixed-race plots, how often does the non-white win? And on top of that, how often are they the protagonist?
    I don't watch many movies (less than ten over the last five years). I do see your point, though, and I acknowledge that could have handled this picture better. I thought maybe I could be an exception since 75% of my fantasy protagonists are brown to begin with. They also all survive and win their respective struggles.

I am also just sensitive to this phenomenon, because people who look like me have few media heroes that look like us to look up to.
    I know this doesn't mean much coming from a white guy, but I hate this as much as you do, and I'm trying to help. If Naomi's Story ever gets a movie, I'll do all I can to get an actress who actually looks like Naomi to begin with rather than get a white girl to play her.

(And when the protagonist is supposed to be non-white, the role is often altered to accommodate a white actor. For instance, why on earth is Johnny Depp allowed to play a Native American man onscreen in The Lone Ranger, as if there aren't any Native actors?)
    I suppose this is both because of Johnny Depp's popularity and because the majority of America is still racist to some degree. But you already knew that, and that was a rhetorical question.

I'm not actually happy with my coloring style. It's exactly the opposite of what I want--essentially, your style. I'm really starting to like realism and semirealism, and the only reason I'm still coloring like this is because I'm lazy and don't want to take a long time on any one picture.

I'm seriously going to have to fill a sketchbook with feet and hands one of these days. I remember Synworld recommending that a long time ago and we all kinda brushed it off, but I'm seriously considering it now.

EDIT: Oh, and my second Secret Santa gift to Bunnyvoid:
    Last edited by Matt; 12-26-2012 at 01:44 AM.

I'll color this soon.

EDIT: Colored it.

Naomi progression:
    SPOILER! :
    Naomi is my deepest character, and as such, she's undergone the most changes.

Naomi was no different from stereotypical fantasy elves in 2011. As my worldbuilding wasn't settled, she was a half-nymph, half-human, and I've since grown annoyed with 90% of half-races in fantasy.

It was this picture of a young, tanned Naomi that prompted me to darken nymphs' skin and pull their ears down into a more anime-like style. It took awhile, though.

In my last days of high school, I dipped further into realism with Naomi than any other character. These sketches fueled my new-found love for semi-realism. Naomi was a dark heroine to begin with, but at this point she was practically evil.

These two doodles were the last I did of Naomi's initial design.

To this day, this image is the best representation of Naomi's story and design I have despite its anatomical errors. Naomi's story my only true tragedy (traditional definition: story in which the character makes the wrong choice) and the consequences for Naomi's actions are more costly than in any of my stories.

CURRENTLY: Naomi is a dark heroine still, but I've learned stuff. I removed most of her uncertainty, therefore increasing likability. She's no longer objectively evil and her design is significantly more unique than it used to be. She's my only character whose physical strength actually plummets as the story moves forward as her injuries pile up in a world without magic healing.

Illy progression:
    SPOILER! :

Cute, but she's a two-dimensional character who, while not an archetype, has no progression or defining characteristics.

In the last days of Angel Hunters, I planned several fight scenes, as well as that gash down her torso, around Illy's healing ability. None of them saw the light of day.

(Skipped four images and elaborated in Siren's progression thing.)

Since canceling Angel Hunters, I didn't have any female sword users and toyed with the idea of Illy being one, despite her ankle being thoroughly screwed up in the story at this point.

When nymphs' skin darkened in my universe, so did dryads'.

CURRENTLY: Illy is as she appears in the first picture in this post. I've adapted her wood-warping to be an integral part of the story, and her personality has improved significantly since just six months ago. She's now defined by it, rather than her race, appearance, ability, or circumstances.

Siren progression:
    SPOILER! :

What even...? Character was a 2D sociopath with no development, and the drawings were bad too.

Drawing Siren for Saimoe helped me balance her character a bit. Still not likable, but not objectively evil.

First time drawing Illy and Siren together--they met in the story as well. I was getting better at this point.

Was playing with their personalities--Siren was the Campbell shapeshifter and the wise mentor rolled into one and Illy still didn't have much going for her.

I admit, I just wanted to draw her in something sexier than usual, but this design partially inspired Siren's current iteration.

Lighter tone and an attempt at humor. Siren is a mini-philosopher at this point.

This awkward stage in my art reflected almost exactly in my writing as I was torn between the gorgeous brutality in Game of Thrones and the lighter "teenage fantasy" tone I'd been writing with since Angel Hunters.

Settling on both art and writing style. I let the story start in teenage fantasy and drop suddenly into more adult-oriented themes to raise the stakes. This was around six months ago, however, and I've improved even more in both story and art.

CURRENTLY: Siren is as she appears in the first picture in this post and is significantly less of a sociopath in the story. Her current occupation: guard.
    Last edited by Matt; 05-08-2013 at 12:44 PM.

In my honest brutal-as-fuck opinion you spend so much of your time on these characters and not improving your actual drawing skills.
    These characters don't matter in the long run if you're aiming to actually improve as an artist, because you've stagnated for a really long time now.

But I don't know, maybe this is just a hobby for you

Josh, I personally feel like this is not constructive critique but rather criticism. Personal characters DO matter in the long run, maybe not to you, but to a lot of people their OC's are their muse, their own creation that inspires them to draw. Your last statement is condescending and unnecessary. I don't know if you're trying the 'tough love' route, but whatever it is you're doing its not constructive nor helpful. If I received your 'critique' i'd be feeling pretty low about myself right now. I'm sure you would be too, have a little empathy. You can give constructive honest opinions and critiques without sounding like a know it all asshole.

ALSO.
    I think you are TOTALLY wrong. In the time that Matt has been posting, not only has his art skills been improving, but his creativity and composition has improved. He's also moved to a more semi-realistic style which he's currently working on. Semi-realism is a hard thing to transfer to, especially if you've been focusing on manga. Matt has come a LONG LONG way. He deserves credit.

Now. For my critique.
    I really like your idea and composition and the sense of perspective. The trees have been shaded beautifully. <: I will say that the tree-girl(?) has merged a bit too much into the tree, its somewhat incomprehensible what she is/what she's doing. I get the feeling that she's morphed with the tree, but it hasn't been executed as well as it could. I would recommend that you give her a more defined human silhouette, look at it as a black flat shape. Does it look human, or does it look like a lump?
    Anywho, Matt, you HAVE come a long way and you still have so much potential to be an absolutely breathtaking artist. You're nearly there, you have the imagination, the drive. Just keep doing what you're doing, Work on your anatomy and colouring a bit more and there will be no limit to what you can do.

<3

I pretty much second linz. You've definitely been improving, it's pretty evident from the character progressions (which are really cool both for the art and story progression). I may have said it when you first posted it, but I really really like the second to last picture of Siren - her face just looks fantastic! Some areas in general that I think could use more practice are hands and feet, but you may already know that. Also I'm pretty sure the way you draw hair is a stylistic choice, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. Obviously this is more opinion than critique, but it just feels a bit stringy. In my experience hair tends to clump together in sections rather than separating into individual strands. (Curly hair is a GREAT example of this b/c, when the hair is cared for, it really clumps together into individual coils or curls with varying levels of definition) BUT if this is just a stylistic choice than carry on.

Sorry that wasn't as organized or helpful a critique as I would have liked... :I Anyway, I'm really excited to keep watching your characters and art grow! n_n

I apologize, Linz is right, that was out of line -

However you choose to spend your time drawing is up to you.

You still sound like an asshole, but whatever.