Thread: Comic Problems!

Hybrid View

101 Dalmations Member

Comic Problems!

I working on my first manga chapter....but here's the following problems im facing:

What kind of paper should i use so i can publish it?
    What side does it have to be?
    How to publish it when im done?
    Do i have to print it out or just sent to them drawn?

Can someone help me out?

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    1) You can use any kind of paper you want but if you're going to use ink and tones, then you're better off using thicker paper (i.e. not regular printing paper - you have to go with the heavier ones)

2) Size depends on the publisher you're going to send your manga to. Read this thread, I already talked about it there.

3) If you're asking to publish it yourself, you can just use your own scanner and printer. You can also go to Staples or other office store that prints for you. If you're going to a publisher, then they'll print it for you.

4) Check their submissions details. Each company likes submissions to be sent in a certain way so always check what they want.

Have you been checking out the tutorials at the main site? There's tutorials on this stuff already:
    Going to a Publisher: Who, What & Where
    How to Self Publish Your Own Manga
    All About Digital Comics
    Printing Comics: Setting Up for the Print Shop

101 Dalmations Member
    Thanks..Do you have a tutorial on how to ink comics? If not...can you make one...Im having problems with inking comics

I have questions too.
    What are the advantages of using right to left/left to right?

@Kakashi: Try googling for 'inking tutorials' - I know there's a lot out there. Here's one that seems to hit the key points.

@Slurpee:
    Left-to-Right:
    This being the natural direction of the English language, if you are making a comic in English, readers will easily grasp the flow of your paneling and dialogue.
    You might be able to find a few purists who complain that your comic is 'not really manga' because it doesn't read RTL. Also, nobody will mistake your comic for a scanlation.

Right-to-Left:
    Will make it hard for people to read your comic unless explicitly told to read this way. The occasional weaboo who's read more scanlations than actual English literature may find it easy to read and comfortingly similar to translated manga. Everyone else will complain.

I've also seen this style recently, the online korean mahnwa comic style where everything goes downwards. Would it make the page seem to have less motion if it were to be a battle manga in the same style?

Nope, the manwha Noblesse has plenty of action and uses that format...works well for them. I think it actually adds to the fluidity at times.