Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The Tablet Thread

I am surprised that no one has mentioned this. To do straight lines, what you need to do is click somewhere that is your starting point. Then, hold shift and click the second point. What this does is 'connect the dots,' effectively creating straight lines in any direction easily and quickly.

As for digital tablets, two things I see people overlook are pressure sensitivity options and weight of the product. The Cintiq and Intuos4 have pressure sensitivity of 2048 levels. The Bamboo has 1024 levels (same as Intuos3). I have been painting with 1024 levels for years and that has served me well.

What I don't recommend is to get a Cintiq because of two potential reasons: heat from the screen and portability issues (bringing a powered screen everywhere really limits your drawing time). A Cintiq is good for architects and photographers...since they are on the move, but horrible for artists that are serious about doing art as they will be drawing for hours on end.

Is that using brush tool? Since I believe we're talking about how to make straight/smooth lines using brush tools, not line or pen tool.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Gaiz, once more it depends on the program and the way it functions. I have a feeling Sonny is talking about pS since it does require you to set a starting point, then click elsewhere.

On the other hand, there's this badass thing called SketchBook pro that I recommend you give a test drive. Why? It has a ruler tool, and a radial ruler. Meaning straight lines 360 degrees, and perfect circles, all that shite...Although its functions are minimal.

Ah, yes. I am referring to Photoshop and with the brush tool. Simple dab the first dot with the brush, then shift and click the next position. You will get a straight line connecting the dots.

I also tried this with GIMP as well and it works exactly the same way. While I haven't used all the possible digital drawing software out there, I believe this leads me to believe this function is universal.

If not, it may be used with another hot key like ctr or alt. Either way, give it a shot and tell me your findings.
    Last edited by Sonny; 03-06-2011 at 10:19 AM.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Yea, it works with GIMP the same as PS, mainly because it's like a twin to PS lol.
    Then again holding shift works for most programs too, so it kind of is a universal thing.
    Holding shift makes straight lines in: Zbrush (2.5D mode, using the line brush), Sketchbook Pro 2010, GIMP, PS, SAI? I think, and MangaStudio...that's all I remember right now.

101 Dalmations Member Alexander_Hamilton's Avatar
    I ended up getting a tablet PC when my old laptop needed replacing. If you're thinking about getting a new computer but would also like something like a Cintiq, go for it. I can just draw right up on the screen, with no extra attachment required.