Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tablet Thread

The Tablet Thread

I'm planning to get a tablet. What would you advise buying, and what software should I get with it? If I plan to use it for drawing, should I buy something higher than the Bamboo series? Thanks for all the help guys.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Insofar, I've only used Wacom products for tablets. I started on a Graphire 4 (discontinued and replaced with the Bamboo line) for a 100-something bucks. I used it for a little over five years. It held up great, I never had to replace the nib, and I never had a single problem with it.

About a month and a half ago I got an Intuous 4, and I like that a lot. The texture on the tablet itself is supposed to mimic paper, which is different from the Graphire 4's surface, which was just smooth plastic. I still might prefer the smooth surface to the textured surface, but I also know that I still haven't fully gotten used to it.

When I first got my tblet, I was awful with it. My lines were shaky, and my first thought was, "Oh, crap, I just spent all this money on something I'm gonna hate!" But after a month or two of obsessive use, I got used to it. XD

I might be inspiring a small bit of rage, but somebody on the interwebs wrote a program called LazyNezumi that smooths out all the lines drawn by your tablet. xD

So... the Bamboo is basically an upgraded Graphire, eh? I'm thinking of getting a Bamboo Craft.

I bougth the Bamboo Pen for 70$ because it's my first tablet and I'm not sure if I'm going to use it much. So far I'm very happy with it. But if I decide to go more serious into drawing I'm willing to buy an expensive one.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Hmm, I'm not exactly sure if it's upgraded, per se. It definitely looks better, but I've read some reviews that the nibs wear down faster and that the quality isn't quite as good. Howeverrr, I won't personally endorse those statements, as I've never tried one. But it still sounds like one of the best options for a beginner.

And Photoshop also has a smoothing option in the brush window. I always keep it on, and I've been using tablets since 2005. XD

Bamboo is pretty good. Even the small ones are decent. Got mine a few years ago for AUD$120.
    i wake up every morning and brush my teeth with rainbows after i piss excellence and wash my face with glory

Okay guys, after tons of research this is what I found out:

Wacom tablets specialize in high-end performance, but there's quite a few models that function a lot better than the Wacom Bamboo namebrand. See article for info.

Basically, what I've found out is that it's best not to buy a Bamboo.

Here's why:
    Your basic Wacom Bamboo Pen - the simplest drawing Wacom - has 512 levels of pressure sensitivity and 5.8" x 3.6" of drawing area; about 21 square inches. You can get it on Amazon for $58. The Genius Mousepen has 1024 levels and 8" x 6" of drawing area = 48 square inches. You get it on Amazon for $50. Basically, a slightly lower price with double pressure sensitivity and double drawing area.

The Wacom Bamboo Fun - the best Bamboo there is - has 1024 levels, 8.5" x 5.4" = 45.9" squared. You buy it on Amazon for $160. That almost matches Mousepen stats but has triple the cost. The next Genius brand available, the Genius G-PEN F610, has equal sensitivity and is 6" x 10" = 60" squared. You buy it on Amazon for $87. That's nearly a third more drawing area at almost half the price of the Bamboo Fun.

The only drawback is that the Genius line runs on batteries. However, said batteries last an entire year and are replaceable. Also, since not that many people know about the non-Wacom tablets, these second-hand or store clearance items on eBay will be insanely cheap while the Wacoms will have lots of bidding competition.
    Last edited by Hamachi; 02-20-2011 at 10:17 PM.

Princess of Default Victories pajamajam's Avatar
    Do you really see yourself using the pressure sensitivity all that much, though? I have a Bamboo Pen and I like it just fine.

Dangnabbit, I forgot to confirm my bid for this awesome new $45 F610 on eBay when bidding... CRAP... ah, well I guess I'll just have to buy something cheaper. But to answer your question, I think sensitivity helps your strokes look better. For me it's the size thing - I've read that size is best since you don't want to be compensating by scale too much. So it's cheaper, larger, and works just as well.

Wow, thanks a lot. Even I'm planning to get a tablet, and I realize I haven't done enough research. I was going for Wacom Bamboo and then I find this thread. Yayy!

Well, I don't think I can buy it right now though, coz I'm poor at the moment, but later this year, with my first pay-check probably! xD
    Hope better deals come soon!