Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Golden Summer (Ch.1 p.3 // 3-17-11)

@LVUER - Mugi! I didn't form Sierra off her (she was a completely original model from when I was 15), but they do have their similarities. One, you'll see in about two or three pages.

@Frostfyr - Lucky Star was one of many influences. The others were K-On, Manabi Straight, Azumanga Daioh, Shuffle!, and Higurashi. (You'll see the Higurashi bit come in gradually, but it'll never be in the horror genre.)

@Seefy - That bit in parentheses above was heavily influenced by that little study you did for me awhile back. I'll see if I can get it out before you remember what that was. Page 3 introduces the storyline, finally. It's in draft form right now, slowly being inked and detailed (because it's testing week--ACT, MME, PLAN, etc. I totally guessed on every problem for the science and math portions. Let's see what kinda college I can get into with that).

EDIT: In reply to Frostfyr's comment, actually, yes, Golden Summer will actually have a bit of horror. My script changed.
    Last edited by Matt; 03-17-2011 at 07:06 PM.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    THE SUSPENSEEEE. Ugh, I hate it when people reference things I've said/done and I don't remember them! Hurry up with that new page, then! XD

Kay, I'll get the new page up within the week, but there's one problem: every time I open Sai to do the lineart, I get a mild art block. I'd previously roughed it in, and I was really happy with the flow of it, i.e. the bubble placement, but the characters and backgrounds were so rough that I couldn't tell where to ink. Most of the panels contained circles and lines for the characters and empty backgrounds. I thought I could build the Summers' house in Sketchup and use still pictures from it as backgrounds, but it turns out Sketchup's a bit more time-consuming than I'd thought.

But anyway, the lineart. I don't even know how to do half the angles I sketched, and if I do, they don't turn out right because I neglected to sketch in detail. So, would it be better for me to do my pages traditionally, or should I keep doing it digitally and figure out how to get around the blocks?
    Last edited by Matt; 09-02-2011 at 01:57 PM.

. So, would it be better for me to do my pages traditionally, or should I keep doing it digitally and figure out how to get around the blocks?
    look inside urself for the answer

Just realised something... Why are Sierra's blood-red eyes the only thing that got coloured on that last page? It's kind of amusingly sinister if unintentional...

Anyway. I find that as long as you think of the background like a three-dimensional object, blagging correct-looking angles often isn't that difficult. Perhaps it's worth just drawing a bunch of cubes or octogons for practice?

Sierra's eyes are gonna be uncolored from now on. I noticed it looked sorta gothic, and that's not what I was aiming for.

I'm gonna keep practicing on backgrounds. This next page has really sucky background, but hey, I'll improve as time goes by.

I have to apply tones, so it's technically not done. Still, this is what I presented to my art teacher. ^^

EDIT: Oh, 100th post.
    Last edited by Matt; 03-17-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Art teacher? Why? For C&C?
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

It's my final art project. I gotta finish the first chapter.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Oh, OK then. Beter get crackin' Matteo.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.