Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Return of Burnzeh - Self portrait and cartoonification XD

101 Dalmations Member ScarletHue's Avatar

The Return of Burnzeh - Self portrait and cartoonification XD

man what has happend. Place has a new look..and wayyyy less threads.
    welp i will not abandon yee

so anycase over the last two days iv been really working on my portraiture as im in the christmas holidays so here they are

and some closer up

any crit would be appreciated :)
    Last edited by ScarletHue; 02-21-2011 at 09:25 AM.

Your lookin pretty good there...however I feel like there are a few drawing errors

I think you should work on your lights and darks...in sketching, shading is key and I don't think you quite hit the mark yet.

Your anatomy is great, but you should follow the picture more, I suggest maybe looking into grid drawing for good practice! It's a great way to learn shapes in the human anatomy.

EDIT-
    the first photo is a great sketch! really good job

The second photo is solid, however the darks are a little off, which kinda makes the drawing itself look a bit off without the photo. the nose isn't drawn quite to the photo, like the nose on your drawing is strait while the photo is more to the right. it's quite excellent without the photo, but I still think it needs a bit of work.

The third needs a bit of work yet. the face is a bit off kiltered. I feel that the one thing that is throwing me off is the lips, did you draw the lips on or did you shade them is the one question I'd like to ask.

Also, mixing media is quite challenging, especially ink and graphite. Graphite is a light medium while ink is very dark. for example, in the second photo, the ink on the right side makes the person look bald. Im not sure if that was what your going for, but that is what I interpreted.

Peace to you!
    NW

Quote Originally Posted by 103
    Your lookin pretty good there...however I feel like there are a few drawing errors

I think you should work on your lights and darks...in sketching, shading is key and I don't think you quite hit the mark yet.

Your anatomy is great, but you should follow the picture more, I suggest maybe looking into grid drawing for good practice! It's a great way to learn shapes in the human anatomy.

EDIT-
    the first photo is a great sketch! really good job

The second photo is solid, however the darks are a little off, which kinda makes the drawing itself look a bit off without the photo. the nose isn't drawn quite to the photo, like the nose on your drawing is strait while the photo is more to the right. it's quite excellent without the photo, but I still think it needs a bit of work.

The third needs a bit of work yet. the face is a bit off kiltered. I feel that the one thing that is throwing me off is the lips, did you draw the lips on or did you shade them is the one question I'd like to ask.

Also, mixing media is quite challenging, especially ink and graphite. Graphite is a light medium while ink is very dark. for example, in the second photo, the ink on the right side makes the person look bald. Im not sure if that was what your going for, but that is what I interpreted.

Peace to you!
    NW
    thats one hell of a critique dude. Thanks a bunch for taking the time. Il be sure to note the things you said. Oh and I am going to start practising with the grid method to see how that goes. Thanks again !

so iv applied for university now. Going to study graphic design and illustration.

but umm as part of my A level art course iv been designing a character and well...heres some of the work from it

These wouldnt fit on the screen.. there not huge or anything though , there just wider then this tiny little forum page OTL
    http://i55.tinypic.com/2iu4zeq.jpg
    http://i51.tinypic.com/16awff6.jpg
    http://i56.tinypic.com/vghmjo.jpg

oh and dno if any one goes to these links but this is my website :)
    http://illustrateme.tumblr.com/

it has a whole bunch of my work on it.
    Anyways crit and comments on anything would be great.
    Thanks

You do a wonderful job with the curls--it takes a lot of work to get those looking nice :) I would continue to work on the place of features on the face. You're getting better and better, but still a little off (I do the same thing quite often.)I guess an example might be to make the fore-head a little higher (not a lot, just a little,) and to work a bit on the left nostril (it's bigger than the right.)

It's looking good, though! You can tell you've been working on it :) I love that hair *envious* I try curls, but I can't tell if I'm any good.

Thanks blue, I had been working on it.

So I had a trip to cumbria last week and have been photographing the mountains.
    Il share some more of the photos with you guys another time when iv had time to splice more characters over them XD for now, the only one I have finished.

any comments or crit would be great Im not the best at digital CGing so ..ya

You're doing well.. There is an advice I read somewhere: Draw things as they are, not as they are supposed to be.
    For example, a mistake that I've been doing was trying to make the eyes, ears and the whole face look symmetric. That's not the case with a real face; I mean, in real life faces are not 100% symmetric. Therefore, I have to draw things as they are, not as they are supposed to be.

For the digital drawing, you're doing well to.. some practice on anatomy will help. Most of MT are working it including me ^^

Thanks yara , I will really be working on that

right so for A level art I had to produce a final piece and whelp ..here what I did

one with oil paints and watercolours.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Have you ever read Burne Hogarth's Drawing the Human Head? If you haven't, I suggest you check it out because he explains a lot of how to draw faces and the rules you should keep in mind when drawing them from front view, side view, profiles, and so on. Keep practicing though - it seems like you're almost there. C:

I don't even know how you did the watercolor painting, haha. It's looks awesome but I would have done a full body on it though.

Keep up the good work!

rio : iv checked out the book. it has actually really helped so thanks
    pwhit : thanks , i enjoy painting ..though im not quiete seefy standard.

ok so iv been drawing myself , which is something i used to hate but now not so much !
    iv been drawing myself first in my sketch book, and then trying to make myself into a more crazy wilde looking cartoonified ..guy.

i was using this crazy lookin guy i met in the mirror for reference XD

any crit ? particularly on the portrait.