Thread: How bad is it Doctor?

Question How bad is it Doctor?

So, the guy who told me to come here said to utilize the Critique Corner to help out my skills a bit.
    What do you guys think?

For the most part, your lines are much cleaner than the majority of newer artists. Actually, they're even cleaner than mine. Your ability to make clean, confident strokes doesn't come to too many people naturally, so that's definitely a strength. You've got a decent hold on anatomy, but the proportions of the faces are off. In the first picture, the guy on the left--his nose is quite a ways away from his mouth. Mouths are a finger width away from the nose (use your own face to confirm). Of course, you can safely distort that (i.e. I sometime remove noses from my girl characters altogether) once you get farther down the road of manga, but for now I'd recommend drawing things slightly closer to realism so you can get the hang of proportions/anatomy, etc.

You remind me of when I started out. let me help you by saying what Matt said about your lines and what I my artist friend told me. Your lines are really clean.... STOP IT! don't make too many long lines until the end. When you start, rotate your shoulder and draw from there, then scribble a bit the gyst shapes that you want, in a relaxed, carefree attitude. Then continue to add detail. use a different coloured pencil if you want. Then, at the end, you will be really relaxed, and you just need to follow some of your lines to darken them, but you won't look so stressed. Also your noses are too small ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_Wellington View Post
    Your lines are really clean.... STOP IT! don't make too many long lines until the end. When you start, rotate your shoulder and draw from there, then scribble a bit the gyst shapes that you want,
    ...well, if there's a reason you are telling him to do that, you never said "why"? and "until the end" of what?

Many new artists have the tendency to draw very messy with a bunch of lines, because they are trying out a bunch of different ideas at one time. WHEN JUST SKETCHING there is nothing wrong with having a messy picture. but in manga, the problem with having messy line art is...you often have to ink it. This means you have to spend extra time cleaning up all the excess lines and crap, which can be a big headache, especially for a beginner. SO, if you are planning on doing Finnish pieces in the future, not just sketches, having clean lines isn't going to hurt you. that being cleared up:

you defiantly have some potential man. There are anatomical and proportion problem, but this is normal. Look at some tutorials for anatomy on this site and others, and use a guideline system when you draw. what I like about you so far is that you don't seem afraid to try hard poses, even if you don't have the best knowledge on how to draw them. keep this up and you'll learn fast.
    Also to get good critiques on your work, give us a little more info on the pictures. Let us know what you are working on, what you are trying to accomplish.

(P.S. On the first pic what is the thing on the middle guys shoulder? I really like it and want to fan art it o-o.)