Thread: Need a name for this group

I'm a Legit Member

Need a name for this group

I'm currently working on a manga, and I'll try to not spoil too much, but I will say that it revolves around a group of people with "superhuman abilities". I know, that's never been done before, right? Anyway, they have the ability which makes them extremely skilled and versatile with a certain type of weapon specialty. The types I have so far are ones that are good with guns, ones that are good with blades, ones that are good with martial arts, and ones that are good with magic. I also have a special type of these people, but that's a bit of a spoiler
    I was originally going to go with the name "Combatant", but then I realized that that name is actually really bad. So I need your guys help to be creative and help me with finding a cool(ish) sounding name for these people, because they are the main focus of the story for this manga. I don't have a name yet for the manga, because most likely I will be using the name of these people in some way or form. I NEED YOUR HELP PEOPLE!

~ Çyn

Not to be a sour goose, but problem is here that you aren't exactly selling it, duderino.

I'm sure you have more original ideas in your head, but the super people thing on it's own is just pretty much every comic book and manga out there. So it's best to name it after something which is entirely unique to your series, otherwise it will never stand out. I can't be more specific if you aren't sharing anything else, sorry.

No rush, through. Make a couple of pages first, and then try and think of something apt, that's what I generally do. If you have a naming theme for your characters, something to do with that can work, also. I find that 'word salad' or intentionally weird word combos can also be fun, but it's best left to series that are supposed to be extremely deranged.

I'm a Legit Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Regantor View Post
    I can't be more specific if you aren't sharing anything else, sorry.
    Okay. I'll give a bit about the backstory of the plot as a whole, since that probably does need to be told, and since I figure that the name should be based off of how the general public as a whole see these people.
    About 100 years before the current time of the story, people started getting the abilities mentioned in the OP. The government of the country, Nalbia, originally didn't think too much about it and saw it as a simple mutation that would fix itself when the people died. But, the abilities began appearing generation after generation, and the president of Nalbia passed a law to have all these people executed. That was 14 years before the current time. The president didn't do it, however, for the sake of the citizens of Nalbia. He actually just did it because he felt his position of authority would be in jeapordy. Anyway, the citizens of Nalbia, who believed basically everything that he said ever, thought he was telling the truth when he said that they were a menace to society and should be exterminated. So, yeah, basically, everyone hates them. Oh, and the people aren't just the main protagonists group, cuz that would be pretty boring IMO. They actually make up about 5-10% of Nalbia's population (though they aren't technically considered citizens).
    Anyway, that should help people help me with coming up with a name, because it sorta tells how the general public feel about these people. So, yeah, if you need to know anything else to come up with something, or if you just wanna know a bit more about the current plot I'm going for, just ask (as long as you aren't asking for spoilers )

~Çyn

How can normal people even tell the differance between these empowered people and themselves? If there is litterally no way, I would guess that the average person would refer to them in slang terms as witches, sorcerers or spooks or something. Dig into a thesaurus website and see if you can find any cool words to do with that kinda thing, maybe?

If there is a way that normal people can tell them appart, mind, it's more likely that normal people would give them a slang name based on that, mind. The manga series Claymore had demonic half-breeds that generally carried claymores, for instance. Take a wild guess what the townsfolk called them.

Again, the very best way to name a series is to name it after a very unique, specific thing about your series. If there is absolutely nothing seperating it from the X-Men, well... Sorry bloke, but there really should be something that does, and for more reasons than just giving it a good title. >_>

I'm a Legit Member
    Well, there are definitely going to be things that separate it from X-Men, and this is in no way the story that I'm settling on. I still do have to flesh it out, revise it, you know. But thanks for the tips on the naming them with slang. I hope you'll enjoy it when (if) I actually manage to get Ch. 1 up and running

~ Çyn

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Remember that the name a persecuted group has for themselves and the name that the people doing the persecuting use for them isn't the same. See: faggot/gay, kike/jew, nigger/black, bitch/woman, and any other oppressed group in history. I mean, actually, even the X-Men. You had 'mutie' and some other made up slurs that were used against mutants. If you want a name that captures how the public feels about these people, it should be offensive and hurtful, and these people should probably have another, different, name that they - and any allies - use for them.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!