Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Luxs' art. Lots of art.

Your portrait of that dude feels really expressive and your pencil technique really complements the atmosphere and I'd say that drawing is pretty admirable. Though, I'd like to point out that the left eyeglass that's in the back is taller than the one in the front, so it kind of throws off space for me in that moment.

For the deerdude, you got me in a lighter feeling atmosphere, so it seems like I would agree that you'd have some good ideas about composition. I only want to say that the head seems to be viewed at a different perspective starting from the shoulders going up, and below that your body has a different perspective so it doesn't attach properly and makes it feel like it's unbalanced. Try working with 1 or 2 vanishing points, it really helps put things together.

I'm not exactly sure what hetalia is, but the drawing looks like it's got nice qualities from the bold pencil strokes. Looks as if there's a nice subtle detail on his cheek, a tattoo. The only weird thing I see is that I can't find where his left elbow is, when you have a simple drawing, attention to shape is pretty critical.

Your last piece has nice textural qualities to it. There's not much I can say since I don't look through surreal art too often, but you can definitely use some ideas from here for more stuff.I'd not the textures, qualities the give it depth/take it away, and the contrast that defines your subject.

Chick with suspenders, not trying to be mean but I saw a guy at first. It was mostly due to the fact that the black fuzzy brush on the arms looked like hair to me. Some of my first thoughts is also that it looks like a nice graphic, but I also saw the thing with the shoulder from the deerguy. The size of the two hands are vastly different, the right shoulder is raised very high, so the right upper arm is a lot longer than the left. To me it's a matter of something in the back is smaller than something in the front.

Quote Originally Posted by summers50 View Post
    Your portrait of that dude feels really expressive and your pencil technique really complements the atmosphere and I'd say that drawing is pretty admirable. Though, I'd like to point out that the left eyeglass that's in the back is taller than the one in the front, so it kind of throws off space for me in that moment.

For the deerdude, you got me in a lighter feeling atmosphere, so it seems like I would agree that you'd have some good ideas about composition. I only want to say that the head seems to be viewed at a different perspective starting from the shoulders going up, and below that your body has a different perspective so it doesn't attach properly and makes it feel like it's unbalanced. Try working with 1 or 2 vanishing points, it really helps put things together.

I'm not exactly sure what hetalia is, but the drawing looks like it's got nice qualities from the bold pencil strokes. Looks as if there's a nice subtle detail on his cheek, a tattoo. The only weird thing I see is that I can't find where his left elbow is, when you have a simple drawing, attention to shape is pretty critical.

Your last piece has nice textural qualities to it. There's not much I can say since I don't look through surreal art too often, but you can definitely use some ideas from here for more stuff.I'd not the textures, qualities the give it depth/take it away, and the contrast that defines your subject.

Chick with suspenders, not trying to be mean but I saw a guy at first. It was mostly due to the fact that the black fuzzy brush on the arms looked like hair to me. Some of my first thoughts is also that it looks like a nice graphic, but I also saw the thing with the shoulder from the deerguy. The size of the two hands are vastly different, the right shoulder is raised very high, so the right upper arm is a lot longer than the left. To me it's a matter of something in the back is smaller than something in the front.
    oh WOW this is so rad thank you so much gosh

i can see what you mean about the shoulder thing, now that i look at it, it does seem pretty weird and yeah, i definitely need to work on perspective more haha

SPOILER! :

here's a landscape that i did a few days ago! it's basically my first actual landscape, not counting little doodles i do in my sketchbook.

SPOILER! :

(spoilered for WAY huge)

a wip i'm doing in my art class, yet another landscape. i really need critiques on this, i want it to be as good as i can make it haha
    Ladies and gentlemen, the future is here and it's about 100 feet above the Arby's.
    ---
    i don't know how to change my username and it's irritating

A general guideline I'd follow is that things up close are more detailed and contrasted (usually) and far away the opposite (usually), and that's my comment for both of them. Your mushroom things are creating some space through their scaling, maybe try making the farther back ones smaller to push that.

Are you referencing some real mushrooms? Maybe try finding pics of of mushrooms on trees and use that as some material to work with to add details and give your landscape a lot more character. I'd push the values a bit more in the front too, but that's probably dependent on the atmosphere you're looking to work with.

Hi SassyTurtles,

It's great to see another person putting effort into doing landscapes and scenery. My first suggestion would be to work on defining the fore-, mid-, and background areas in your landscapes. This is usually done by a combination of things. Obviously size and perspective is huge, but I would also try pushing things further into the distance but de-saturating the colors of objects the further they appear.

General composition rules apply for landscapes just as they do for portraits or action scenes. It's good to pick a subject for the painting and make that the focal point, whether that subject is a mountain or a huge mushroom. Once you decide upon the subject, make it a visually dominant part of the painting. In both your landscapes, it doesn't seem as if you've decided upon a subject for the painting, opting instead to just paint everything. Also, choosing a subject allows you to focus your time on that object, making it more detailed than its surroundings will automatically bring your eyes to it, just like how the one mushroom that has details draws my eyes compared to the rest. If you'd like this mushroom to be the focal point, maybe try to make it more visually dominating.

Your mushroom piece would be much more interesting if you brought in some complementing colors for the shadows. Right now it's all warm colors. Adding in some blues or purples would make things really pop out. If you want to continue with the color scheme you have now, then increasing the contrast is going to be really important. At any rate, keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing how they progress.