Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: ♣♥♦♠ My unwitty return: Self-portrait + other junk

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    ○ Scarlet: Thanks! Yeah, I wanted to use sharp lines and bright colors for the character to reflect some sort of modernity, but keep the background more suggestive and loose. I agree that the hand looks a little stiff. The reference I used was in that pose, and I probably should have tried to modify it. Hands aren't really my strongpoint, as you can see, haha, and I'm pretty sure that putting scissors on top of that weakness is what made it all the more difficult. At one point I wanted to omit the scissors altogether, but I was like, nuuuuu ;______; it need scissors! XD I thought that I overdid the folds at first, but I think I like them now.
    Last edited by Celestial-Fox; 06-01-2011 at 04:53 PM.

I just try to draw like that, and Scarletlight statement is true, "it must be difficult to draw holding scisors from that angle"

Access denied blaaghh~ from here it looks nice and smooth great line-art! and the background and colours look cute too

Oh no! Here, does this work?

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...v8vo1_1280.png

*goes off to edit original post*

And thanks anyway! XD I know it's really hard to see from that tiny little thumbnail, haha.

♥ I ' m . a l i v e ?
    Fan art for the comic, Hanna is Not a Boy's Name. The character's name is {...} and he''s my favorite of the cast, though it is a little hard to choose. :>

Texture by Hillary Luetkemeyer. I started this piece seven months ago in 2010, but finished it up just today.

I have some more OC sketches to upload, but my scanner is being moody and not turning on today. D: Sorry for being gone for so long. Drawing has been extremely difficult for me lately.

Drawing has been extremely difficult for me lately.
    And another one! Why does it seem like so many of us MTers are having this happen all at once? I haven't even posted in, like, months. You have actual content here. It looks good and as usual, it's beyond my critiquing level. People around my level can only drool at pro-level pictures like yours, knowing that it'll be at least five more years before we can match this. And by then, you'll be five years ahead.

Okay, I admit, that was something to convince you that you're awesome and that you should keep drawing. But it was all true. Except I have no idea how long it'll take me to match your quality.

Spoiler: my thoughts on this excruciatingly long "art block" we're all getting.
    SPOILER! :
    It's not an art block. It's a loss of passion. Never before in my artistic career have I felt so far from my goals, even though I'm much closer to them than I've ever been in reality (first commission). I don't know your exact situation, but I'm assuming, maybe prematurely, that it's similar to mine. Rekindling the passion we had before is by no means easy, as I've been trying to do it for months now. I've read psychology books on personality ethic and work ethic. Drawing is still extremely fun for me if I can ever get to doing it, but it's like there's some force keeping me from touching my tablet pen or traditional pencil. The books on work ethic just say to be optimistic and never give up, and the personality books say to change your very nature in order to achieve your goals. Right at this moment, I'm motivated to draw, but it's 12:30 AM and I've got church tomorrow. Today. Last time I was motivated was 2:00 PM earlier toda--yesterday. Then, I had to go to work. Now, I have to go to bed. It seems like I procrastinate through my free time and only ever want to draw when something less enjoyable is the alternative. Yes, I find sleep less enjoyable than drawing because I can't do anything.

Prolonged art block or a total loss of passion, I don't know for sure. Either way, we're still artists and giving up is the only failure we're capable of creating.

At the risk of weirding some people out: that drawing of Naomi on p1 makes me wish I could jump into the realm of 2D and be with her.

Not sure whether I'm completely comfortable with that dude's nose though.
    Last edited by Lucifer; 08-07-2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: I was an idiot and thought the first page was in fact the last one...

Seef! Your lines, awesome! At first I thought I had to worry about your colors and tradish skillz but now I see that you got me beat all around!

○ Luce: Haha, thank you! I don't think that's weird at all. We all have those feeling sometimes, don't we? ;D And as for {...}'s nose, here's what he looks like in the comic: pointy pointy pointyyyy! I omitted his facial scruff, though. |D (Headcanons butting in right now.)
    ○ Matt: Hey, thanks a lot for that little pep talk. I've been more inspired than ever because I'm in Hawaii again right now, but I DON'T HAVE A TABLET OR PAPER. OTL Fail! Haha. Anyway, you should know that you're the fastest improving member on he whole site by far. It wouldn't take long at all. (And as always, if you want to know something, I can always cook up an explanation/tutorial. )
    ○ Sparky: No way! You are so much better with lines! Your Illustrator zestiness kills my Photoshop fuzziness, haha.

♦ F e h
    Trying to master my character, Hevhninh's face. The red and blue is SPOT-ON but I CANNOT replicate it for the life of me. :/ :/ :/ :/ I tried in twice in the bottom-left corner and in the top left with the red and blue. The other figures are random.

Good grief. XD I am kinda proud of these, though, because these are some of the tightest sketches I've made in at least a year.

Annnd, from the Furious Dawn world (Frei and Zan's world, for those of you who may remember?), Genqui. I think I'll enter her into Saimoe for the heck of it, but I'll see. Crits are lovely! Help me wit dem creepy eyeballz. I want to do another picture with her in it, more in the style of Bao Pham, though.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that I used another Hibbary texture of this one. :B I seriously need to just have a day where I watercolor some of my own textures. >.> Any tips for that, civilians? XD

Last edited by Celestial-Fox; 08-21-2011 at 06:52 AM.

Sweet! Did you do that pen sketch without an original penciling?

Yep, no pencils. It gets really ruddy that way, haha.