Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: ♣♥♦♠ My unwitty return: Self-portrait + other junk

101 Dalmations Member Scarletlight's Avatar
    Your traditional work is buetifull. Can I ask how the leaves are painted ? just different layers are dark / light paint or some thing else ?

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    ○ Scarlet: Hey, thank you for topping by! Yeah, I've got no problem with answering questions. Alright, so for some general knowledge before we get into the details of the technique, this is a 3x2-foot pre-gessoed canvas. The background is acrylic (white and gold, mixed).

Right! So for the leaves, I've done this technique before, but with ink on acrylic canvas, rather than watercolor. I use tube watercolors instead of pan. I prefer pan for general things, but for leaves, et cetera, I like tubes.

I squirt out a pea-sized bit of paint on a plate and add water to the edges of it with a wide square brush. I take a liiiittle bit of the pigment and mix it with the water to get a light pink tone. I make the general shape of the leaves and let it dry flat for a few minutes. (Letting watercolor over acrylic dry flat is extremely important. If you store it vertically before it's dry, all the pigment will drain to the bottom of each pool of water.)

Then I put another layer of deeper pigment over the first layer of pink, which is still slightly damp. The pigment diffuses a little bit naturally and gives some pretty interesting gradients. I repeat that one or two more times to my liking.

To finish this particular piece, I used sumi instead of paint to do the trees because the water concentration is already high, so I don't have to use a lot of it, like I would with acrylic. Make sure to seal your paintings with a fixing spray so if a bit of water comes into contact with the art, it's not destroyed.

Some close-ups to illustrate:

(Oh, and I'm fairly certain I'm finished with it now. The modifications I've made didn't make a big difference, as you can see. XD)

O_O

Why do I feel like I'm falling farther behind you with every update? Gotta go practice trees!

The portrayed depth on the leaves looks really nice. Among other things (texture, contrast, etc), that sets it apart from more amateur drawings of that style *cough*myentireartclass*cough*

Y U so pro seef?

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    That's legit. It has a really nice feathered effect.

101 Dalmations Member Scarletlight's Avatar
    Thanks for explaining it such detail ! Im going to give it a try later on a canvas.

○ Scarlet: Yeah, no problem. I like answering questions and helping people. :> Good luck!
    ○ Cype: Thanks. Some of the feathering came from me spilling a glass of water all over the canvas, haha.
    ○ Matt: Have you SEEN your improvement? If anyone needs to watch out, it's me! (Most types of trees are still really hard for me to draw, though, D: )

♦ G r o u p b o a r d
    with Rei. :> It's my first time on the new one. Kinda confusing, but I thiiiink I'm getting the hang of it, haha. *noob*
    Last edited by Celestial-Fox; 05-28-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Wow, thats looking good!!
    I'd place the crown a bit farther back on the head and I think the right eye should be a tad lower (can you flip groupboard?), but I dunno.
    Still great tho, wish I could do that.

○ Ruther: Hey, thanks for stopping by! I agree with you on everything. *nodnod* I also think the hair is a little too poofy and that I made quite a few shading mistakes that makes the whole thing look like oily wax, haha. I'll end up trying to shade something like this again later this week, maybe, if I am able to squeeze something in between commissions and other engagements. (Workworkwork! ¥^¥) But I'll figure out how to fix those things one day.

Again, thank you for the great comment; have a nice day!
    Last edited by Celestial-Fox; 05-28-2011 at 08:17 PM.

...........O.O ________________X.X__________ *if you didn't get it i died from awesomnes!!! i cant draw trees for s**T
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.