Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: ♣♥♦♠ realistic-ish portrait, other things

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    Suggestions?
    Yeah!
    You could draw roman ruins or something like that xD
    I was going to say graves but thats p. Cliche, unless its like a tomb like in ICO with all the past horned head boys on Shelve like levels.
    Ex:

Pretty amazing... :O

Those eyes........the EYES OAO...........are so beautiful......
    m sorry but got a thing for pretty eyes.

Also at the anatomy women thing i think that her thighs are a bit too wide. other then that love all the rest, especially the skeleton!
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

Do you use a blending stick?

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    ○ Josh: THANK YOOOOOU. You are a man of genius. I'll see what I can do.
    ○ Ged: Haha, thank you, thank you. I agree with you, too. The proportions are very, very stocky and wide on that one (a bad habit of mine).
    ○ Sylux: I only use blending sticks on hair in final pieces. Why do you ask?

Cuz see I was hoping my drawings didn't look awesome like yours because I didn't use a blending stick but now I see otherwise ._.

No, no, no, don't worry! There are actually a lot of factors that play into the smoothness of a drawing. Here are some tips for smooth shading:

Why I don't use blending sticks
    I don't like to use blending sticks because quite honestly, I'm terrible at using them. Rather than a smooth blend, I get a really streaky result. It works well for some people, but just not for me, mostly because a lot of my blending is done with the pencil itself. If I need some extra blend (usually when covering large areas) I grab some toilet paper or a Kleenex. Also! NEVER USE YOUR FINGERS TO BLEND. Skin is oily and sweaty, so when you blend with your fingers you trap the graphite on the page, making it hard to blend evenly or erase.

The technique
    The way to avoid streaky shading is to control your pencil. Shading works best with a dull pencil, because sharp pencils create unwanted lines. Move your pencil along the page in tiny circular movements instead of directional lines. Build your value up with pressure and layers. It's not the fastest method out there, but it gives a noticeably different kind of smoothness. If you want some more help, head on over to Cataclysm-X's tutorials. They are a fantastic resource, and she does things similarly to the way I do it. . . . and she is WAYYYYYY better than I am at traditional art.

Choose the right kind of paper
    There are a lot of different kinds of paper out there to choose from. For drawing with pencil, you don't need any tooth (texture) on your paper to get the graphite to stay on the page. (For instance, charcoal needs tooth to stay put.) "Drawing" paper tends to do well, but for finished things, I strongly recommend bristol board. It is very thick and very, very, very smooth. It's costly, but yeah. It's the icing on the cake after you've mastered technique.

I have a ways before Bristol board @_@
    Thanks so much for the tips!
    ...in your own art thread ^_^

I suggest you buy some to try it out, though. You'll notice a huge difference, even now. It's fun to experiment, no matter what stage of drawing you're at. And yeah, no problem. I'm always here to help. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post

Why I don't use blending sticks
    I don't like to use blending sticks because quite honestly, I'm terrible at using them. Rather than a smooth blend, I get a really streaky result. It works well for some people, but just not for me, mostly because a lot of my blending is done with the pencil itself. If I need some extra blend (usually when covering large areas) I grab some toilet paper or a Kleenex. Also! NEVER USE YOUR FINGERS TO BLEND. Skin is oily and sweaty, so when you blend with your fingers you trap the graphite on the page, making it hard to blend evenly or erase.
    ..........o_o......................well crap......................tihs makes a lot f sense.......
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

Yeah, finger blending should only be used for rough sketches. I keep getting yelled at by my art teacher because of fingerprints on my work. They don't eraaaaaaase! XD