Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Thread: ♣♥♦♠ My unwitty return: Self-portrait + other junk

Quote Originally Posted by Hamachi View Post
    Really digging the jewelry designs. Also, really interesting choice of material. Do you have any worries about it turning green after tarnishing and whatnot, or have you taken steps to prevent that already?

GREEEEEEEEEEEN!!!!
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

Quote Originally Posted by JJJorgie View Post
    Yeah, I thought they were leaves at first.
    Hmmm I thought they feathers, but that might be do to the bird near them.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    ○ Ged: I take it your favorite color is green? XD
    ○ Hamachi: For my copper stuff, I didn't do anything to keep it from tarnishing, since I like the worn look over the polished one. As for the brass, it holds up much better, so it won't turn green.
    ○ Jorgie: Thank you!
    ○ Outcast: Yeah, context is a little important. I tried more realistic-looking feathers (so they wouldn't look like leaves), but the technique wore down and weakened the metal to the point where they weren't sturdy anymore.

♣ t e s t s
    Portrait of a friend of mine. Two hours. Ended early because I didn't want to handle hair or knit texture.

Then a stab at one of Matt's characters, but I gave up, since I didn't like the direction any of them were going. I couldn't decide on a facial structure, complexion, or coloring style.

Last edited by Celestial-Fox; 11-13-2012 at 10:50 PM.

Oh god they are beautiful ;_____;

Seefy, you're so good at semi realism. I really like how you bring attention to the eyes on the first one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conversation
    Seefy: QUICK HIDE YO KIDS
    Sylux: WHAT ABOOT MY WIFE?
    Seefy: QUICK HIDE JAI

You already know I love these. When I write Naomi's Story, I stare at the top right face for awhile to get a better idea of how my own protagonist looks.

○ Demon: Thanks!
    ○ Jai: Oh, thank you! The reference photo was overexposed and looked like its own, but I like the style, so I might steal it for future sketches.
    ○ Matt: I still owe you a much better one! I'm just too visually indecisive. I should just find a photo of someone who reminds me of her and go from there. Do you have any? I've found a handful that remind me of Illy, but none that ring me as Naomi.

♥ b a c k ?
    Has it really been since 2012? Well, fear not! I've drawn just about nothing between now and then, so you haven't missed a beat. In the meantime, I have instead shifted my focus on wicked paper-writing, DSLR photography, digital photo editing, and web development. Other than some hasty pencil sketches I've done, here is the sum of my work:

Self-portrait from today (3 hours)
    Practiced drawing with a grid and limited color palette. I look really funny without my facial piercings, which I forgot to include.

Speed paint from March 6 (1 hour)
    Practiced lighting on dark skin; found preferred method for periorbital shading.

Color study from October-December (too long)
    I'm just so over it, haha. It needs more blues to offset those reddish deep mauves I have going on. I like the character, so I'm liable to keep poking at this.

One Thousand Member indescribable's Avatar
    that portrait is amazing. love the colours, the shading, expression and overall positioning and composition. gives it some great atmosphere. very stoic. was it from a mirror or photograph?
    Last edited by indescribable; 05-08-2014 at 10:21 AM.

I remember you doing two grid portraits now, that being one of them, and they're kind of awesome.

For darker skin tones, I think you've got it down, but I have a resource to share and you might like it too. It's a video right here that talks about using subtler shadows and brighter highlights than on lighter skin, which may work out well for you too. As a bonus, the artist's voice is both passionate and chilled out at the same time, so that's nice.

I love the second picture, because flowers in hair are cute.

-

Also, as for Naomi, I basically only reference facial structure and hairstyles from various girls (which is why it's never consistent). I have yet to come up with a consistent design.

○ Tay: Thanks! That was actually what I was going for. It was from a photograph, linked below! I keep going into that bathroom this week for art-related things. A few days ago I went in there at 2 a.m. to sketch. I'm not sure why—maybe it's because it's quiet and I like the wall color? That slate blue was definitely the first thing I dumped on my canvas when I started to work on the portrait.

○ Matt: What I've read is that dark skin reflects hard highlights and mainly experiences value change in the lower ranges. The second one was a 70% grey sketch (I think?) so it was harder to express, but helpful nonetheless to keep in mind. The third one obviously throws that out the window (heh), but there's still a long way to go. That video was helpful, so it should come into play if I ever mess with it again!

I knew you would find this, so I also took a screenshot of my workspace—same-sized canvases with a small, 1x1-inch grid with 16 dotted subsections in each. I used one layer, save background elements and a secondary lighting layer too. (Not ideal, but I was a doofus and made serious headway on only one layer, so I was forced to keep going that way!)
    Last edited by Celestial-Fox; 05-09-2014 at 02:46 AM.