Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts Thread: Take 5?

I did Karate for the longest time and I really enjoyed it. It is a lot different from the ones that teach you to beat people up, but it does teach you how to fight which is good, I guess.

Does anyone do or have done Kendo at all?

I could never find anywhere in my area that taught it.

The same dojo that taught me karate had a kendo club that I joined a couple years ago. Unfortunately, the hours were really late that we practiced, so it was getting in the way of my studies and I had to stop training for a while. Now that I'm done though, I want to get back into it.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamachi View Post
    If I could actually become a master at one martial art, the only one I'd want to learn would be Capoeira.

Yeah, the only thing worse than being pwned by a martial artist is being pwned by a breakdancing martial artist.
    Hell yea. It'd be so badass, and much easier to learn if I was born in Tekken.

If we're talking about martial arts we'd want to learn, I'd want to learn the anything-goes style. that'd be cool. Or cat fu. It's unbeatable, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Hell yea. It'd be so badass, and much easier to learn if I was born in Tekken.
    Waitwaitwait no, I changed my mind. If I could actually be a pro, legit martial arts master I'd choose Drunken Fist. Wouldn't it be even worse to be beaten up by a guy pretending to be drunk? Anyways, coolness.

I want to try to learn those CQC (or CQB). You know, the martial arts taught in those Special Forces or SWAT team... I heard it's a a combination between Judo, Aikido, and Jujitsu. Nice ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Hamachi View Post
    Waitwaitwait no, I changed my mind. If I could actually be a pro, legit martial arts master I'd choose Drunken Fist. Wouldn't it be even worse to be beaten up by a guy pretending to be drunk? Anyways, coolness.
    It's Kempo bro. That train your body so hard till your body can move its own based on instinct alone so even if you're drunk are not even aware you can fight. It's really cool!!

Quote Originally Posted by LVUER View Post
    I want to try to learn those CQC (or CQB). You know, the martial arts taught in those Special Forces or SWAT team... I heard it's a a combination between Judo, Aikido, and Jujitsu. Nice ^_^
    Never heard about that.

If you want a good martial art, mix Brasilian Jiujitsu and Muay Thai. At the end you are going to be a beast in grappling and beating.

Capoeira, it looks ok, but most of the fighters lose the fight (to rythmic, to much moves) and Drunken Fist... well the same.

lol I know; in real fighting giving up your center of balance or doing any kind of kick above the hip is basically suicide. But if you were a master ... you wouldn't have to worry so much!! True, it's not very practical, but if you can kick your opponents' butts it would be that much more awesome to do it in style. xD

Yeah, I've seen Thai soldiers train and they use Muay Thai in their combat training. Heck, all the moves have been tried and proven in Thai armies for hundreds of years - you can't be more efficient than that, haha. It's a very straightforward, choppy kind of fighting the Thai movies glamorized far too much.