Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts Thread: Take 5?

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamachi View Post
    Waitwaitwait no, I changed my mind. If I could actually be a pro, legit martial arts master I'd choose Drunken Fist. Wouldn't it be even worse to be beaten up by a guy pretending to be drunk? Anyways, coolness.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamachi View Post
    lol I know; in real fighting giving up your center of balance or doing any kind of kick above the hip is basically suicide. But if you were a master ... you wouldn't have to worry so much!! True, it's not very practical, but if you can kick your opponents' butts it would be that much more awesome to do it in style. xD
    If the opponent using katana you would minus a leg. But if say it a master, he should already know how to handling the risk of his art.

Quote Originally Posted by Reset View Post
    Never heard about that.
    Play Metal Gear Solid 3 or 4. In reality, it's basically martial arts that taught to military forces (although it varies from country to country... Indonesia teach Pencak Silat to it's army and Thailand is Muathai). If I'm not mistaken, US SWAT members and UK SAS learn this... in fact, this moves is popularized during WW2 when SAS used this moves on the Nazi.

This is not a pure martial arts and more mix-and-match martial arts. The main moves of this martial art is disarmament of enemy's weapons, throw them/incapacitate them in some way, could also be used in conjunction of other arms (usually knifes). Of course you do this only when you don't have weapons to fight (not like MGS where you do this instead of relying on firearms).

This martial arts is not taught to civilian, and there's one book that teach about this, get pulled off no long after the release. And that book become training book for SWAT/military personnel.

I think there's an article about this on Wikipedia.

The reality for capoeira.

Point taken, but that was a kickboxer vs capoeira and also that was a movie production scene.

"Capoeira" fighter who isn't using capoeira footwork. The kick was legit though. :P

I do Muay Thai and No-gi Jiu Jitsu.
    Really, more of a grappler than I am a kickboxer though.

I feel that for women, no-gi jiu jitsu/submission grappling is the best form of self defense. I mean, I'm 5' tall and only about 103lbs, if a guy wants me on the ground I'm going to end up on the ground. However, I know how to get the f-ck away, even if they guys 100lbs larger than I am (most of my training partners are even more than that ;-; ). Despite this, most women I try to convince to at least TRY it, are too grossed out by the positions and being on the ground wrestling with another person, and/or they're afraid of getting hurt. Both are completely ridiculous. When you're grappling, you don't really think about the contact (at least I don't), and trust me, I'm a vicious little biatch, when I'm trying to break your arm you're more concerned with defending yourself. As for the second part, while I have gotten pretty injured from grappling, when you're not training at competition level the most you'll get is a couple bruises now and then. [/rant]

BRAG TIME: My bf is 4-0 in MMA right now, he's pretty awesome.

But yeah, martial arts are rad.

Jiu jitsu is great for self defense, until you see that if someone attack you in the street is not going to be alone.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    Jiu jitsu is great for self defense, until you see that if someone attack you in the street is not going to be alone.
    In that sense, why bother learning self defense at all?
    Even if I was a BEASTLY kickboxer, or whatever MA you want, if theres multiple people I'd be toast.

I feel like there are three types of women - when unarmed and threatened, they either try to run away or:

(1) Freeze up
    (2) Start kicking and screaming
    (3) Claw madly at their assailant like a rabid monkey

Personally I have the most respect for women in category (3). Or maybe that's just because I'm male.

Edit: Added unarmed. Personally I respect the lady who pulls out her handgun and casually fires into her assailant's guts the most.
    Last edited by Hamachi; 02-14-2011 at 10:18 PM.

Here's a video of different Karate styles which are all really similar to each other. I think the style I did is in there somewhere.

I did Goju-ryu btw.