Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts Thread: Take 5?

Martial Arts Thread: Take 5?

Jeez how many threads have we had in the past? Anyway I'm making a new one.
    Okay talk about Martial arts in this thread. The ones you train in, trained in, or are wanting to train in, etc.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Did regular karate in indy gym class back in school for a few months. It was p. cool actually, except we had to memorize and execute certain moves and stances. You know, stuff that would never work in real life. Neo and Jackie Chan disagree.
    I'd take it again but nah.

Karate isn't the best martial art you could study if you want to use that to defend yourself. Karate is more of an art form than a defensive thing, you know?

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Wuhh, I thought Judo was defensive? Or maybe both...ah I don't know much about this lol. I love watching MMA though, that'd be the way I'd go...if I wasn't a skinny skater bastard.

Judo isn't Karate. It can be applied to help you in a fight irl, but if you really wanted to learn something to defend yourself against like a knife or a gun, you'd probably be better off with something like Krav Maga. I'm not a fan of MMA, but you can always look for a class or something somewhere. I'm sure they'd offer a class somewhere around where you live. Just buy a few weights or something and start working out.

I did Karate years ago and found it pretty boring. I would like to get into a different martial art but I haven't the money.

I did TaeKwon Do, Box, some of Vale Todo and some of Full Contact when I was younger. The last thing I did was Muay Thai. I think I should be back in training =/.

Also Karate is the most boring Martial Art of all (and inefficient), TaeKwon Do is good if you don't do the ATA or WTF (ITF FTW), and Vale Todo... well it's depend, do you want a big guy hug you all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    well it's depend, do you want a big guy hug you all the time?
    I would'nt!! Very disgusting.

I did TaeKwon Do too till 2 years ago, my campus moved to another city (cuz provincial capital moved too), dojang is too far away now then i quit and so i just got yellow belt.

"Vale Todo" i know that name, its about fighting chalange without rules all of kind of martial art allowed, that's what I read from manga "Ashura."

But that really interested me is the "eight point" kung fu (i dont know what is international name, but it call BaJiQuan in china), you will learn about it a lot from an old manga titled "Kenji,"or from game titled "bloody roar" (use by Shen Long & Long). It's cool man.
    Last edited by Reset; 02-14-2011 at 05:22 PM.

I took basic karate when I was thirteen. It was pretty much a discipline class, but there were some pretty good techniques I carried over when I switched dojos. After I switched, I started learning jujitsu, muay thai, and aikido (my favorite so far). I liked those much better, partially because my sparring partners weren't 10-year-old kids whose idea of a high kick was a foot from the floor. I could actually fight against people who knew what they were doing, which made it a lot more fun, and probably a lot more practical.

I ran out of money about a year ago, but I keep nagging my parents to get me back in. Until then, I'll learn jujitsu from my dad.

Kenichi had an interesting quote about martial arts in it. Went something like, "Martial arts are for defense. If you want to kill somebody, it's better to use that thing on your hip."

If I could actually become a master at one martial art, the only one I'd want to learn would be Capoeira.

Yeah, the only thing worse than being pwned by a martial artist is being pwned by a breakdancing martial artist.