Thread: how to draw a western style ?

Hybrid View

101 Dalmations Member ScarletHue's Avatar

how to draw a western style ?

tons of tutorials online for how to draw manga but i cant find anything for drawing a more western style. any one help me out ?

http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/

There's no defined way to draw in a western style though, pretty much thicker lines strong shapes and more wildly expressive characters and poses. Don't worry about style, focus on learning how to draw and let the style come to you.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Semi-realism can pretty much describe most of the western style...well when it comes to comics and stuff. There are a jumbled mix of west styles and like Sparky said, no defined way.

Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Semi-realism can pretty much describe most of the western style...well when it comes to comics and stuff. There are a jumbled mix of west styles and like Sparky said, no defined way.

Yeah semi realism... oh wait.

Wester Artists doesn't have a characteristi style (maybe semi realistic thanks to super hero comics), and it has a wide variation. Thats why I love it xD.

See this is what EXACTLY what I mean, when I read western I automatically thought cartoony, Gunz thought of super hero comics, and Clock though of AWESOME!

Style isn't something that you should learn from a tutorial, learn how to draw in general, look at artists you like, draw from life and interpret what you see.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Maybe the question that should've have been asked was, "What kind of Western style are you looking for more specifically?" So, Illustrate, can you be more specific as to the style you're looking for?

Often western style are much more realistic yet, simplistic at the same time. Although there really isnt a real way to describe what western style really is.

Art in general is just how you depict your surroundings in your own way, so yea :/ not much help there xD

But like rio said, maybe you should let us know what exactly you are trying to achieve.

101 Dalmations Member ScarletHue's Avatar
    hmm ok guys , thanks for the help. Im looking to achieve something similar to the style that clockhand has posted above. does that help ?

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Have you tried copy drawing? That's the fastest way I know if you want to learn how to draw in a certain style. Basically, you take an image - say the one posted by Clock - and you try to draw that exact same image on a blank sheet of paper. If you copy draw art styles like that enough times, you eventually pick up how to draw faces, hands, bodies and so on.

With that said, I still suggest you study anatomy just so you know the rules and how to break/bend them.