Thread: Help with Hips

Tween Member

Help with Hips

ok, so I decided to create my own characters to go along with a book I wrote, just for fun. One of the characters, he's very tall and very skinny. About mid thirties but skilled in martial arts. So he's rather muscled. I've got everything just how I want it except his hips. No matter where I set them or how I place his curves, he either looks like a box, or a girl. I'd do the triangle thing but he has small shoulders. Please help. Thanks you guys.

-Rosie

Are you able to put up any examples of the character?

I take it that it's actually drawing them that's the problem, as opposed to reference? I just ask as the standard male mannequin on posemaniacs.com has a fairly lean/muscular build.

Tween Member
    I would go to posematics but my school has it blocked under "adult art" and he's my own character so I don't have any references yet. I could probably find a few pictures. Hang on.

- - - Updated - - -

this guys waist is about right, but I just can't draw it like that standing.

- - - Updated - - -

although his thighs legs are a bit big too.

Could you maybe post a picture of your character's upper body so we can get an idea of what he actually looks like?
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Where's Cloudy-chan?

Tween Member

its really really bad, I know. but I just wanna get the hips right and than I want to go back and redo it. (and I have no idea how to spell Josuah either. -_-)

- - - Updated - - -

and its not really giving you guys an idea of what he looks like either. oops.

- - - Updated - - -

let me see if I can google something that's close. It won't be just like what I have in my head but meh. You'll hopefully get a good idea.

allright, this is pretty close. His cheeks are thinner than this guy's and his hair looks nothing like that. (its short and spiky) and I hope to give him more smile lines. But the overall seriousness is about right. I know this isn't helping Im sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

oh, now that I look. his torso is about right. Might use this as a reference card actually.

Okay, let's see if I can help. I think in your drawing, the hips are fine, it's some other things that make them look off. For starters, his head is much too big for his body. A man's body should be about 7, especially if he's in his thirties. Right now, you have him a tad less than 6. Along with the head being too big, you may want to thin the face, too, especially since he's a very fit man. Thinning the head would also require a thinner neck. You could widen the shoulders a tad more and add more muscle to the arms as well.

If you'd like, I could sketch out what I'm talking about (don't take it as a perfect reference in anyway, but it may give you an idea). Also, you might want to check out Nerior on Deviantart.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Tween Member
    a sketch would be perfect, thank you. and I know how god awful it is. It was like, four in the morning when I drew it. Bleh. -_-