Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SFX Discussion Thread

SFX Discussion Thread

How many times have you been trying to write a sound, and even when you look a list, nothing is like you want. Well this thread is to discuss SFX in comics, so people can find that obnoxious sound that they want to put down in letters.

I'm trying to find the sound of a fast horse gallop. Any sujestions?

I believe you are wishing to apply the forever famous clip-clop.

Depending on the horse's gait, you might have:

A walk: clip, clop, clip, clop ...
    A trot: clip-clopclopclop clip-clopclopclop ...
    A canter: clip-clop clip-clop clip-clop...
    A gallop: clip-clop-clip-clop, clip-clop-clip-clop, clip-clop-clip-clop...

If the horse is galloping on pavement and suddenly stops:
    Clatter-clatter, rattle, clomp!

If the horse is galloping on grass and leaps into and out of a stream:
    Swish, scuff, *stomp,* SPLOOSH! Splash, splash, drip, drip, drop.

If the horse is being hunted down in the forest by a pack of wolves in the snow:
    Thud-thud-thud-thud, *Eaaarrrggghurghurhur!!!* thud-thud-thud-thud, thud-thud-thud-thud, *AROOOooooOOOOooo* thud-thud-thud-thud, thud-thud-thud-thud, *Growrrr, yip, yip, yap!!!* *Grrr, grrr, grrowll... *CHOMP* *KHHHRRRrrrrRRR!!!* *AAAAIIIIEEEERRRgggHURhur-* gasp, choke, coughcough, wheeze...

*Snap*, thump.

Padpadpadpadpad. Sniffsniff. *Grrrrrr, yip, yip!!* Hisssss... drizzle, squirt. Chomp, chomp, squish, munch.

Squelch.

Devised by Yours Truly, who isn't doing anything better with his time. :]
    Last edited by Hamachi; 02-12-2011 at 02:37 AM.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Uhhh....what Hamachi said.
    I would just suggest not looking for sound effects, but typing them how you hear them, and make sure it matches somewhat with the visual provided. You don't have to get super fancy, but good ones enhance the atmosphere.

For SFX, I think it's alright to make-up your own sound effect. SFX could be very different between comic (or manga) even for the same sound. If I must make a sound effect for horse running, I will write: gallop-gallop-gallop

As long as you write any word that seems reasonable showing the gallop in action, you should be fine.

Well I was thinking in a horse galloping in the desert, so the clip-clop wasn't good. I think thud-thud-thud works fine.

I blame a caffeine high and sleep deprivation for my last thread. xD

Anyways I think using either two thuds or maybe four for every interval works best to match the rhythm of a galloping horse. *Nods seriously.*

Hey guys, what about the sound of a old revolver?

Boy this is fun! (lol)

Quick Draw: Kchakchik-POW

Nothing left; reload: ... clikclikclikclik ... snap, tchik, tchik, tchik ... etc

Emptying it all: Kchakchik-BLAM-kric-BLAM-krik-BLAM-krick-BLAM-kric-BLAM-krik-BLAM ... clinkclinkclinkclinkclink ... ... Fhwooo

*Single electric guitar chord is strummed. Unknown group of whistlers starts whistling*

So you have the sounds of cocking the revolver, the actual gunshot, the revolver spinning, the shells hitting each other/the ground as they fall, blowing the smoke away from the gun, the clicking sound of an empty gun, and the sound of the revolver being opened for reloading/bullets being loaded into the revolver.

Every time you fire the revolver will spin to another slot. A well-oiled system will have a springy rising sound to it as it turns. It's hard to explain... take a ruler or otherwise fairly lengthy flat metal object, smack it on the side with something blunt, and listen to the sound it makes while it vibrates. Personally I find this specific springy sound makes me trigger-happy as heck.

A POW signifies that it's a fairly low-caliber gun while a BLAM sounds like the bullets being used are larger and need more force. Well I've had my fun. XD
    Last edited by Hamachi; 02-12-2011 at 11:09 PM.

Yeah... well I was trying to evade the BLAM and POW's... any other sugetion for the shotting sounds?