Page 58 of 60 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960 LastLast

Thread: LGBTQ! Why so many anti gay slurs? NSFW/K

As a YouTube LP'er, I try NOT to use offensive language in some of my videos, but as a teenaged boy it is often difficult. In my Mass Effect and Vindictus videos I tend to apologize profusely for using offensive slang and slipping outrageously contended words out, and try to explain myself for it so I don't lose viewers (not like it matters at this point with my 10 subscribers). I let myself slip in my Halo videos, shouting profanities at the top of my lungs and like a super-saiyan 4 sailor fusion ha, but even in those if I catch myself saying something overly offensive I will apologize. Most of the time it's far too lengthy (like when I'm trying to explain how when I say rape I don't mean sexual rape but instead loot and pillage and rape kind of rape). Usually, when I let the word faggot slip I attribute it to this video:

I'm not saying it's right at all. I'm trying to limit my usage of gay and faggot by replacing them with less offensive words like "stupid as shit" and "motherfucker." Keep in mind, it is something I picked up from my peers without even realizing it. I never used the word faggot when I was younger. That's because I never harbored any hateful sentiment against gay folk; my cousin is gay, my uncle is gay, and I used to go to quite possibly the best and largest homosexual-populated school in the country. I'm not saying it's ridiculous, but it was ridiculous. But over time, kids around me started using it more and more, then I got used to it, and before you know it, now I'm using it. It's used so often that I didn't even realize I really used that word myself anymore until I started doing Let's Plays. It's rooted so deeply, I think, in some people's minds that they're often unaware at its usage. I know it is for me, and I especially haven't picked it up recently. I literally have zero social life; I never ever ever leave my house except for maybe once a month now.

Marriage is supposed to be a union of two PEOPLE under "God" and community. Though it doesn't really state that they can't be of the same gender in any religious tome I've read. There's the argument that marriage is solely for the purpose of procreation but, the way I figure is that in this modern world, people get married for legal reasons & not to make babies. Seeing that the need to procreate isn't such a priority for most these days, I see no reason why two people of the same sex couldn't marry & combine their resources too.

My mom was gay & she loved my godmother very very much. In fact, if my pops wasn't such a pimp, I might not even be here. When they divorced, my godmother lived with us & then with my mom until she died. I never understood why they couldn't get married. And honestly, were I raised by my pops I'd more than likely wouldn't be as openminded about a whole lot of things right now.

Also, just to play the devil's advocate here, discrimination is something that I think all races, religions, genders, & sexual preferences or whatever...suffer from. While I feel that this stupid seeing that humankind's supposed to be so advanced in this new day and age, I can also understand that everyone will not simply put away these prejudices overnight. I hate that you can't really approach the argument passively either , to stoop to their level just makes one as ignorant as they are.

There are power in words...and I try my best to not offend anyone I cross paths with (My bus driver was running early today & I called him a rat bastard for making me run & five minutes later I was apologizing to the guy. No bad karma for Shagg!). People all over the world just don't get how what they say is like a ripple effect that can touch many people.

Until people realize that...dumb asses will exist.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Shaggie View Post
    Marriage is supposed to be a union of two PEOPLE under "God" and community. Though it doesn't really state that they can't be of the same gender in any religious tome I've read.
    You need to read the Bible more. It says that homosexual behavior is an abomination unto the Lord and that those guilty of it ought to be killed for it.

Marriage is not supposed to be anything. What marriage is changes as culture changes. In most societies - in fact pretty much every society I am aware of - marriage originated as more or less a business transaction wherein, when you strip it of all the religious trappings, a father sells his daughter to her husband. Women were - and often still are - property in most societies, and marriage was essentially a business transaction designed to bring families together and transfer goods from one to the other. That is the context of Biblical marriage, as well, and exactly why you find stuff like the solution to rape being to marry the victim to her rapist and pay the father - because the crime was not that of rape of a woman, but of theft from the father. The rapist, in raping the woman, stole something from the father.

That is the classic context of marriage. Any sort of culture that does not consider women the property of their husband or father is not a culture that is practicing traditional marriage.

There's the argument that marriage is solely for the purpose of procreation but, the way I figure is that in this modern world, people get married for legal reasons & not to make babies. Seeing that the need to procreate isn't such a priority for most these days, I see no reason why two people of the same sex couldn't marry & combine their resources too.
    The way I see it, modern marriage serves two primary purposes; legal and social. The legal purpose of marriage is that most modern nations offer married couples some manner of legal/economic benefits/aids/considerations and thus it makes sense from a practical standpoint to get married. After all, if you are in a horrible accident, you probably want your spouse to have legal rights regarding notification and deciding your treatment if you yourself are unable. The legal benefits and purposes of marriage are pretty obvious and don't need much discussion.
    The social aspect of marriage is a bit more complex. And I don't even mean the religious value. Humans are showy things. We are. And especially when it comes to love. When you're in love, you know, you want the whole world to know. That's part of what being in love, really being in love, is. You just want other people to know. And that, I think, is also part of why marriage is important, socially, and why even atheist couples tend to have ceremonies. It's fun and part of our nature as social animals. When we want to spend the rest of our lives with someone, we tend to want the world to know. We want to make a big damn show out of it, invite family and loved ones over, and make them watch how in love we are as we exchange promises.
    So basically I'd argue the modern purpose of marriage, at least in mainstream Western culture, is to confer legal recognition and benefits, and to have a bit of pageantry.

Not really directing this at you, in particular, Shaggie, I just think it's important. We often have discussions about marriage - and traditional marriage - without really thinking about what these terms mean/historically have meant. And it's important, I think. Especially since it goes to show how divorced modern marriage is from anything resembling traditional marriage or religion. Also, another thing worth considering, if one is to argue that marriage is a religious, rather than secular, institution, then one must accept the argument then that the United States government no longer confer benefits on married couples and no longer regulates or records marriages because of the first amendment. If marriage is a purely religious institution, rather than something that religion has co-opted, then it is not the domain of the government.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

No offense taken & you're right. I do need the Bible (again) more. I've been reading the Lotus Sutra in these recent years. I see your point too. You could transpose religion with say...a special code or philosphy& still reach the same conclusions I suppose. I totally agree with you dude. Sometimes its difficult for me to find the correct words or semantics. When one really looks at the modern union of marriage. REALLY examines it, there's still no way to logically justify why same sex marriage is wrong.

Banned
    I'll tell you why there's so many anti-gay slurs: It says in The Bible that "Men shall not lay with men" and "Women shall not lay with women". The hatred you see towards people like you is god's holy spirit at work. In the past four years, the gay population has been reduced by fifteen percent!

Religion's on the rise, and homosexuality's on the fall. Pretty soon you'll be back where you belong.

Well if that's how you feel.

Banned
    It's how god feels, and you'd do well to listen to him. He made us, and he has the right to tell us what to do.

I bet you're probably Christian.

Banned
    "Christian" is a word that was invented by defeatists and blasphemers.

But I'm a worshiper of Christ, if that's what you mean.

Well then we have nothing more to discuss. Yeshua was not the Messiah. He was not Adonai's true intended son to wash us of our sins.