Page 55 of 60 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: LGBTQ! Why so many anti gay slurs? NSFW/K

SUP LOSERS.

Crawling out of the very comfy pit that is the D&D threads to inform y'all that the Church of England has declared that it "cannot support the proposal to enable ―all couples, regardless of their gender,
    to have a civil marriage ceremony", because "Such a move would alter the intrinsic nature of marriage".

I bring you this news not because I think same-sex marriage is the most important thing the LGBT community should be fighting for (not when three trans women of colour were murdered in April alone, not when a Black trans woman is being sent to a men's prison for daring to not allow a Nazi to murder her) but simply because I cannot stop laughing at the sheer audacity of the hypocrisy of the C of E.

Because allowing same-sex couples to marry would be far more disastrous for marriage than, say, divorce.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    The idea that women aren't property altered the intrinsic nature of marriage far more than anything else. Hell, legalizing bestiality and human-animal marriage would be less radical of a change to marriage than when we officially stopped seeing women as property.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    Quote Originally Posted by Msnbc.Msn.com
    Friends and family of two teenage girls in a same-sex relationship who were shot in the head in a South Texas park expressed shock and grief Tuesday over the incident in which one of the young women was killed and the other severely injured.
    Mollie Judith Olgin, 19, and Mary Christine Chapa, 18, were found in knee-deep grass in a nature area in Portland by a couple Saturday, said Portland Police Chief Randy Wright, who confirmed to msnbc.com details first reported by the Corpus Christi Caller Times.
    Full story at Msnbc.msn.com

The image of the multi-layered Kraft cookie appears above a date – June 25 – and the word “pride.” A caption declares “Proudly support love!” The cookie isn’t available for purchase.
    Of the profile’s nearly 27 million fans, more than 154,000 liked the Pride post. Not all the nearly 20,000 comments, however, were quite as supportive.
    “Bye Bye OREO!,” wrote user Jeni Friedersdorf. “Why can’t companies stay neutral on such things?” A few quoted the Bible; several swore to boycott the snack.
    In response came an outpouring of Oreo love. One user, Matthew Merix, wrote: “Homophobes = tacky. Kraft Foods = progressive. Cookies = AWESOME.” The debate quickly spilled onto the rest of Oreo’s Facebook profile and also onto Twitter.
    Hordes of commenters pledged to buy the cookies, marketed through Kraft’s Nabisco brand, to show solidarity. That lead some users to question the company’s motives.
    “What’s funny is the fact that people are congratulating ‘Oreo’ for taking this stand and ‘not caring about profits,’ wrote Facebook user Dennis Archer. “This will do nothing but cause an influx of sales, which Nabisco was well aware of.”
    Other major companies have also gone public with their backing of the LGBT community. Searching for the word “gay” in Google brings up a scalloped, rainbow-colored ribbon under the search bar.
    Many firms and brands, such as Bud Light, Wells Fargo, Johnson & Johnson and Coca-Cola, sponsored or sent representatives to the equal rights events scheduled around the country this past weekend.
    Ironic that I won't buy Oreos because of a food allergy but they support my love.

I wish they made oreos in those colours

I don't. Most of those are not very appetizing colors.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

dude wat

On same-sex marriage

Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    CNN anchor and daytime talk show host Anderson Cooper has publicly declared he’s gay.
    In discussing last week’s Entertainment Weekly cover story on the emerging trend of celebrities nonchalantly coming out of the closet, Cooper revealed his sexuality to Daily Beast blogger Andrew Sullivan. Sullivan emailed Cooper about the story, noting that public figures revealing their sexuality still matters, even if many are no longer startled by the news. The 45-year-old newsman has always been private about his personal life and has long been rumored to be gay.
    “We still have pastors calling for the death of gay people, bullying incidents and suicides among gay kids, and one major political party dedicated to ending the basic civil right to marry the person you love,” Sullivan wrote. “So these ‘non-events’ are still also events of a kind; and they matter. The visibility of gay people is one of the core means for our equality.”
    To which Cooper responded:
    Andrew, as you know, the issue you raise is one that I’ve thought about for years. Even though my job puts me in the public eye, I have tried to maintain some level of privacy in my life. Part of that has been for purely personal reasons. I think most people want some privacy for themselves and the people they are close to.
    But I’ve also wanted to retain some privacy for professional reasons. Since I started as a reporter in war zones 20 years ago, I’ve often found myself in some very dangerous places. For my safety and the safety of those I work with, I try to blend in as much as possible, and prefer to stick to my job of telling other people’s stories, and not my own. I have found that sometimes the less an interview subject knows about me, the better I can safely and effectively do my job as a journalist. …
    Recently, however, I’ve begun to consider whether the unintended outcomes of maintaining my privacy outweigh personal and professional principle. It’s become clear to me that by remaining silent on certain aspects of my personal life for so long, I have given some the mistaken impression that I am trying to hide something – something that makes me uncomfortable, ashamed or even afraid. This is distressing because it is simply not true.
    Read the full story at Entertaimmentweekly.com

A question for you guys in the US: how much prejudice do you experience on a day-to-day basis? I only rarely see any in the UK, although it does happen, but then I live in one of its most liberal parts (near Brighton, which is one of the LGBT capitals of Europe...). Hell, I'd even be interested in hearing from UK LGBTQ people who live outside the south-east.

EDIT: Also, it's insane that American Christians seem to be particularly bad, given that the core message of Christianity is supposed to be brotherly love. How on earth does the right wing manage to hijack an entire religion?
    Last edited by Delphinus; 07-02-2012 at 04:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

I'm not a LGBTQ individual and I wouldn't presume to speak for them or their experiences but I am willing to bet that, like most issues - especially those of bigotry - it varies wildly based on what part of the country you are in. I highly doubt that the average non-heterosexual or cis person in, say, New York, experiences the same sort of amount of bigotry as one in, say, Alabama.