Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: LGBTQ! Why so many anti gay slurs? NSFW/K

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Yeah, don't boycott the Salvation Army. It's not like there are other organizations which do good work and help the poor and needy, and have the benefit of not being bigoted organizations that dehumanize entire groups of people for insane religious reasons. If only the world had other charitable organizations!

But it does not.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    Yeah, don't boycott the Salvation Army. It's not like there are other organizations which do good work and help the poor and needy, and have the benefit of not being bigoted organizations that dehumanize entire groups of people for insane religious reasons. If only the world had other charitable organizations!

But it does not.
    :\

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocate.com
    A new report highlights the shocking level of poverty endured by LGBT people — and their children.
    By Neal Broverman

The economy may slowly be getting its groove back, but many LGBT people will miss that rising tide. A recent report from the Half in Ten program — a campaign by the Center for American Progress and like-minded groups that aims to reduce poverty by half in 10 years — indicates that LGBT people, especially lesbians and transgender people, endure vast income inequality compared to their heterosexual peers.

"Lesbian couples tend to have much higher poverty rates than either heterosexual or male couples," according to the report, titled "Restoring Shared Prosperity: Strategies to Cut Poverty and Expand Economic Growth." "[Older] lesbian couples...are twice as likely as straight married couples to live in poverty."

The numbers, culled from the Williams Institute at the University of California, Los Angeles, indicated that up to 64% of transgender people make less than $25,000 a year. Also disturbing was the finding that children of gay couples are twice as likely to be poor as offspring of straight, married couples.

One of the solutions to this disparity is marriage equality, says Melissa Boteach, manager of Half in Ten.
    "A married heterosexual couple with $45,000 in income filing their taxes jointly would get a $50 refund from the federal government," Boteach says. "A same-sex couple has to file separately and they would owe $2,165 in taxes."

Lesbian couples are especially hard-hit as women continue to make less than men — 78 cents to every dollar, according to Boteach. That difference is felt keenly in families where two women are raising children.

Half in Ten is calling for the passage of President Obama's American Jobs Act, which includes paid sick days for working parents.

"There are ways in which LGBT families have different needs, but there are certainly ways that they have the same needs as all Americans — good jobs and good wages," Boteach says.
    More reasons to go for gay marriage LESS STRUGGLE!

Seeing that 64% of transgendered people live in poverty really scared me. Now I really am afraid I will be able to get a job at all.

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    People will take this info and turn it into "it doesn't pay to be gay" when really life's being made harder for lgbtq people. It isint asking for special treatment when other committed couples are automatically given things like tax breaks its asking for equal rights. I feel I had to say that because there are still people who don't understand that.

Imagine how many people would be better off financially and be in better health if gays and lesbians were allowed to marry their same sex partners?

I saw on the news that gay men in states with gay marriage were actually healthier

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Give LGBTQ equal opportunity, and women equal wages and this wouldn't even be a problem.

Though, according to my girlfriend's experience working in designer clothes/make-up retail, those types of stores are very partial to gay men when hiring. ._.

There is imo a high density of gay men in fashion and make up. I would try to say perhaps its something genetic inherited by all gay men to want to go into such industrys but I hate that it's a continued stereotype that all gay men are fashionable or some kind of fashion idiot savants because we aren't. Yes you see allot of gay men in that type of store but I think its to get women shoppers to buy more because dispite just knowing they like men any woman loves to hear a man tell her she looks great in those shoes or that is her color etc. Other ones are if he's an artist or theater actor he's gay. Not true!

Though the Performing Arts section of my college (where I love to hang out) seems to be where all the gay guys are. Seriously, in the last 3 months I've hung out there I've seen more gay guys in college than the 2 years before.

EDIT: Mind you the majority of male PA students at my college tend to be (a) "god's gift to women" or (b) gay

EDIT2: What I'm saying is there's probably some truth to the actor thing
    Last edited by Delphinus; 01-22-2012 at 05:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

I think its because the fashion world, or better said, all the "artistic" world have been more comprehensive with homosexuality than other "work environment". And the deal with the stereotype in fashion, is just because fashion is shown more into the public eye than any other "artistic media".