Thread: Critique Rosiechan's work (First time, little nervous)

Tween Member

Critique Rosiechan's work (First time, little nervous)

Ok, so, um. First time here. I've been doing this for four years. But I took a break so about two total. I just wanted to hear what you guys thought and what I can improve on. oh, and most of these are pics I found on google and than redrew. But one or two came from my own head so don't bash me for copyright. Thanks, guys. Love ya.

-Rosie

I have noo Idea if these will show up so please, have mercy.

I dont have any formal critiques at the moment, but YEAH MAN! SOUL EATER!!! AND LINK!!! I do see some possible issues with facial anatomy in the second to last one, but it's hard to tell due to the small size. I'm really excited to see your future work These look really awesome and I'm especially fond of the last one!

Soul... Eater... O______O ~<3

It's hard to critique without the references you used, so i'm just going to suggest working on head construction which seems to be the area needing work. Since you are using an artists interpretation of the heads as reference, you will probably want to work on this area to avoid picking up the errors they added when said artist stylised. Also, contour drawings run the risk of misplacing the features on the face which won't help. I've attached Head and Hands by Loomis below as it will be more use to you than my ramblings.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/501782/And...Head-and-Hands

You may not want to construct a realist head right at the moment, but the construct used is malleable and can be fitted to differing styles c: so it is worth practicing for future use c:

Tween Member
    aww. one posted twice. oh well. thanks you guys I really appreciate it and I do love the website.

I'll give a better, more specific critique in a little bit (after I can gather my thoughts better), but for now here are some main points:
    1) You really lack symmetry, especially in the faces. I believe it's caused by having no initial/rough sketch and just going straight into lineart, which leads me to my next point.
    2) Your work looks like you have no sort of prior sketch or planning, you just jump right into thick, permanent outlines. This creates bad symmetry and makes your lines very wobbly. Rough/light sketches are a great way to plan your picture to make sure everything looks correct and looks good.
    3) Your drawings are stiff and lack depth. For example, the picture of Maka and Soul, it's looks like they're made from folded pieces of paper. The best way to fix the stiffness, imo, is learning correct or more realistic anatomy (even though it's the manga-style, it should still have real human anatomy). The lack of depth is cause from incorrect shading and "flat" shading.

Like I said, I'll have more on these matters a little later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Love that Kishin picture.

Tween Member
    The maka and soul was done like that on purpose and I don't like symmetry all that much. Maybe its just me, I'll work harder at it. I'm the only one in my tiny town that does anything like this. So, this is the first feedback I've gotten that isn't a complement. Thank you for your feedback and (thank god) for your specific directions.

Using anime pictures as references to learn anything wont help you understand jack, because its all distorted. Go ahead and learn Anatomy and construction first, like Demon said. Then you can form your characters to any style you desire, and have it look right.

To continue with what Joosh said;

This series of videos are really useful for a simplistic but concise resource on the subject.