Questions - Art Portfolio
I currently working on my art portfilio now and i wanna ask some questions...I kinda ran out of ideas because i wanna be a comic book artist/manga artist.
Should i just make a portfilio of just comics?
Can i put portraits into my portfilio?
What kind of drawings should i put in it?
Can i put fanart or copy draw photos into it?
101 Dalmations Member
im working on a portfolio too. Mine is being made to show to universities in the hope il get in to study illustration, I dont know if yours is a general one or your showing someone specific like I am but anywho.
I want to become a comic artist too and while I dont know everything about this portfolio making deal I can tell you the things I have included / Would include from the list you have there.
I wouldnt make it just comics , perhaps dedicate 40% of it to comics to show that is your preffered and most unique style. For the other 60% throw in any other styles of art you have done , perhaps some graphic design , landscapes some still life some this some that. Any other styles youve drawn in and you are competant with.
Include alot of life drawings because I often get feed back about my lack of that. Yes include portraiture as it can be a very good way to show you under stand the anatomy of the face outside of stylized comic forms.
Also make sure to include a variety of media with a small portion being some you have experimented with a few times and with the majority of media being that which you know you are good at. Pencil , biro , oil paints , water colours ? those are my whole deal any way. Im sure you have your own preffered mediums so be sure to include mostly those and some digital work where you can too.
101 Dalmations Member
usually with portfolios, the more variety, the better. people will like to see that you can work in a wide range of mediums and styles.
Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er
I generally agree with angel_dreamer but once you go to school or look for a job, you will have to narrow down your portfolio to things that the potential employer or school (and the degree you're enrolling in) are looking for. Most don't like to see manga drawings unless they're specifically asking for that style. Most actually prefer seeing real life drawings, humans, backgrounds, and different kinds of mediums.
Btw, can you be more specific in your titles? It's getting kind of getting annoying having to see you title all your threads "Question" or "Question XXX".
Ruler of the Seventh Empire
I agree with Rio...try to be all over the place...in that general field. So therefore you're working towards what you want to get into, and showing a nice set of variety in that same area. Just don't go crazy with it.
Okay...thanks for the help and...i will change the titles whenever i make another thread...