2 12.50%
  • Windows+GNU/Linux

2 12.50%
  • Mac+GNU/Linux

0 0%
  • Both

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows, Mac, Linux or all - need some advice.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    I use Windows XP and Vista.

"A software aimed at artists" - Kind of vague there. Is it a graphics program?

I work on Windows at home and college. If I get another laptop, I'll have Linux installed.
    Good luck with your project *thumbs up* =)

@rio, Haven't decided yet. 2D Animation software or 2D Drawing software with some features that could help you make comics etc or maybe a software for visual novels. I'm dropping a project I'm not happy with and need to move to something new, more interesting and more simple that a single developer can handle.

Kinda depends on what you're doing with it. If you're playing games and generally using it at home, Windows. If you're programming and want ultra-fast compile times, Linux. If you're doing 'artistic' and memory-intensive stuff like video editing, sound editing or 3D modelling, Mac OS. You need to choose the operating system that suits your uses.
    That said, unless you have a specific focus in mind for your system, Windows 7 is probably your best choice, given it's the most widely supported of the major operating systems.

That's exactly what I've noticed. The GNU compiler is super fast under linux and super slow under Windows. That goes to the debuger too.

Quote Originally Posted by violin View Post
    @rio, Haven't decided yet. 2D Animation software or 2D Drawing software with some features that could help you make comics etc or maybe a software for visual novels. I'm dropping a project I'm not happy with and need to move to something new, more interesting and more simple that a single developer can handle.
    Don't make one for visual novels. There are already quite a number of them already made, some of Japanese origins and there are quite a number for English now too, the best of which is Ren'Py. Ren'Py is Python-based so it's cross-platform, not to mention that it's been available for over five years and has tons of features, has an active programmer (PyTom) and an ever growing community. Drop by Lemmasoft forum and check it out if you want. I stop by there once in awhile and a few other members here are also members there as well. If you're still interested in developing one though, check out the others: Blade Engine, Novelty, NScripter/ONScripter, etc. They each have their pro's and cons.

On a side note, I think a paperdoll program would be cool. There's been quite a demand for it over at the Lemmasoft forum; there was actually one created by PyTom called ALICE but was dropped since he wanted to focus on Ren'Py; and it would benefit comic artists as well..... Well, as long as their will be someone out there willing to make the art assets anyways.

Rio, thank you for the suggestions.
    I decided to drop the idea for drawing software as there are too many programs already and I can not compete with them.
    As for the PaperDoll program - thanks for the idea. It remember me of a program I made when I was 12 years old. It was called "Adventure Background Maker". You had a set of premade background - like rooms, landscapes etc. Then you have a set of object and you can combine then to make a background for a game just like in the Alice program you showed me. So I may combine the two and there you have a tool that could be used for making backgrounds for comics etc. Just not sure it someone would need it. Because it's not very original and the art is someone's else - it's just combined in a different way.

The other idea is to make an animation program similar to Pencil (http://www.pencil-animation.org/) I really like it but it could be made in a different way. Like for example it has vectors but it doesn't morph the animation between the frames in the vector layer. I bought Anime Studio - it's great but it lacks the more traditional frame based animation drawing that Pancil has.

Yeah, the paperdoll program would need a heck of a lot of art assets which is the daunting part. That animation program looks pretty cool. Are you talking about onion skinning when you say " morph the animation between the frames in the vector layer"? If you find some features that you like but that program does not have - I say go for it! I'm sure there will be others out there who may be looking for the feature you yourself value.

The onion skinnig is fine for the bitmap part, but for the vectors I'd prefer them to work similar to Flash or Anime studio. There are alot of features I could think of. I'll give it a try and see what would happen.

All I need is a name, to investigate different technologies and still I'd really like to go multiplatform. Windows+Linux at first.
    Last edited by violin; 02-06-2011 at 09:24 PM.

Mac all the way.