Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atomic Lollipop

Atomic Lollipop

Uh so this is some concert/convention/carnival thing in Toronto. I've never been to one of these convention things before, so I guess I just wanted to see if anyone else was going, what I should expect and what there is to do at these things, or is it as I fear and just going to be freaky people who dress up as naruto and scream shit at passersby.

Fenn
    Wait, is it a legit Anime convention? If so I went to my first one earlier this year in Boston, I can help you out a little.

EDIT: Found the site http://www.atomiclollipop.ca/wp/

Expect tons of cosplays, lots of workshops for manga and anime artists, boatloads of swag and merchandise (some imported straight from Japan) to buy, and showings of popular anime. It sounds like this one in particular also has a carnival-like atmosphere with rides and music/dance parties with top DJs (likely from Japan). I don't think they sell tickets at the door either. You have to pay in advance.

What I learned from my only convention experience is that it will be what you make of it. If you dress up (like I did) and/or let loose and immerse yourself, you're gonna have a blast. It's basically the only public event where you can fully express your anime nerdism without being unfairly judged.

My advice:
    - Go with friends, it's way more fun.
    - Bring a camera or have a friend bring one.
    - Save up some money. Between food and merch, you're wallet will be sore.
    - Have a rough idea of what events you want to go to each day. This was the mistake I made, I ended up missing both events I wanted to try because I didn't plan with my friends.
    - Cosplay. This is far more optional, but it opens up plenty of possibilities. Plus you get superpowers.
    - If you cosplay: Take a train or bus in. The looks you will get are priceless.
    Last edited by Fenn; 07-03-2011 at 10:56 AM.

thanks fenn. The friend I was going to go with now is being hesitant as to whether or not he wants to go, so I may not be going after all. -__-
    We will see though.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayashida View Post
    thanks fenn. The friend I was going to go with now is being hesitant as to whether or not he wants to go, so I may not be going after all. -__-
    We will see though.
    Did you both check out the website? That's what sold me. Don't force him, of course, but that might change his mind.

Well its wether or not he can afford it since he's going to university in September.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayashida View Post
    Well its wether or not he can afford it since he's going to university in September.
    Oh I see. If he can't, then he can't, but here's a suggestion: It's 36 bucks, right? maybe every week he skips out on a few pieces of junk food and puts the savings into a jar for the convention?

I don't know, just a silly thought.

Yeah fenn that's pretty silly.

But like he has no money now because he doesn't even have a job.

Oh that's probably 1-2 hours away from me...But I guess I'm too old to attend such things

@Fenn, it's chep but if you are not from Toronto, you'll have to pay for a hotel, food and also travel expenses. And if you don't have a passport (if you are from US) - that costs som hundrets dolars too so it may get preaty expensive.
    Last edited by violin; 07-15-2011 at 07:02 PM.

For the hotel and the ticket it's costing me about 85 bucks.

That doesn't sound bad. How much is the hotel?