Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Online Games need to shed their story-driven predecesors

  1. #11
    Fenn
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    So all this thread is just because your own taste?
    Well, my opinion yes. But I provided some reasoning, and you're free to disagree. I just feel like online games would be better this way.

    Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    Why dont you start learning how to program fenn.
    I've been working a little with the Game Maker engine, but I keep getting frustrated because of how time consuming it is to find/make graphics.

  2. #12
    Lord of Death jubeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    12,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    Well, my opinion yes. But I provided some reasoning, and you're free to disagree. I just feel like online games would be better this way.
    These games already exist and you have cited examples of them. You either just want more or were not being honest when you said you weren't talking about all games.

    I've been working a little with the Game Maker engine, but I keep getting frustrated because of how time consuming it is to find/make graphics.
    Following up on what I said above, these games exist and you will most likely never be satisfied. I suggest you get over those hurdles and start working because your dream game will never exist.

  3. #13
    Three Trio Tres Member wolfman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    378
    if xmen games followed the story completly online wolverine vs magneto fights would be pretty one sided

  4. #14
    Palindrome Member ClockHand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    Well, my opinion yes. But I provided some reasoning, and you're free to disagree. I just feel like online games would be better this way.
    No, your only point is what you want, not what other peoples want. As jubeh has said, there are game of your taste so you have no reason to claim for more. If there are no more of that type of game, is by a reason.

    At the moment your statements have been about what you want and how much you like that, but you haven't show any real prove of these kind of games to be needed.

  5. #15
    Fenn
    Guest
    True...what I deserve for posting first, thinking later.

    Let me take a different perspective. Sometimes it seems that these games, although relatively popular and entertaining, do not grow as popular as other games not due to a lack of interest, but a lack of support from publishers and the industry. Of all the examples I've cited, were any of them mass marketed, or financially capable of providing the best of the best services to gamers? I feel like if a game like Monday Night Combat got the same treatment a "big name" game receives, it would have grown ever bigger than the current mainstream games.

  6. #16
    Lord of Death jubeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    12,764
    Maybe. Maybe not.

    Defense of the ancients is (was?) one of the most played games in the entire world, and it was just a mod for warcraft 3. Minecraft has sold over 1.2 million copies and does not have a big name behind it. Not only that, but this all happened through word of mouth.

    Not to mention having a large community doesn't mean having a good community. Lots of dudes play call of duty don't they? Every kind of person whether they have an understanding of the dynamics of team based first person shooters, or just like to watch shit explode. That being said that game has one of the worst communities I have ever encountered. I am the cheapest dude you will ever play in street fighter but I've only received hate mail a couple times playing it. In call of duty I am called a camping bitch every 5 minutes for playing the game as intended.

    If you think a "big name" is going to take a huge risk to create your dream game, I think you have a wild misunderstanding of the video game industry.

  7. #17
    Fenn
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    Maybe. Maybe not.

    Defense of the ancients is (was?) one of the most played games in the entire world, and it was just a mod for warcraft 3. Minecraft has sold over 1.2 million copies and does not have a big name behind it. Not only that, but this all happened through word of mouth.

    Not to mention having a large community doesn't mean having a good community. Lots of dudes play call of duty don't they? Every kind of person whether they have an understanding of the dynamics of team based first person shooters, or just like to watch shit explode. That being said that game has one of the worst communities I have ever encountered. I am the cheapest dude you will ever play in street fighter but I've only received hate mail a couple times playing it. In call of duty I am called a camping bitch every 5 minutes for playing the game as intended.

    If you think a "big name" is going to take a huge risk to create your dream game, I think you have a wild misunderstanding of the video game industry.
    Very true. I suppose it's not so much about the "big name" but the increased resources and opportunity for constant updates and support that generally come with it. Also, I haven't played Minecraft, but I take it that game is not based on PvP competiton.

    Lastly, this isn't so much an expectation of mine as a dream. Thus your suggestion to learn programming/design is very accurate.

  8. #18
    Lord of Death jubeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    12,764
    If that's true then the thread title is wildly misleading.

  9. #19
    Senior Member PWhit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Go Away, China.
    Posts
    459
    jubeh is absolutely correct. Call of Duty is not a community, just a bunch of animals and the very few people that win and get grilled for it. So is the Gears of War community, but I love that game so damn much >
    Anyway, lots of games need the backstory or storyline to give players a crutch so they know what to do next. Games need noobs in order to be games or make game communities in the first place.

  10. #20
    Fenn
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    If that's true then the thread title is wildly misleading.
    It was a case of my thesis changing as I learned more about the topic.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •