Thread: Manga series that have just started/will be starting (looking for suggestions)

Fenn

Manga series that have just started/will be starting (looking for suggestions)

I love drawing manga, but I never read it! This is becoming a problem for me, and while I want to start reading most popular series are already so far ahead I'll need weeks/months to catch up. Are there any manga that are up-and-coming and only have a couple chapters/books published that you would suggest picking up? I've tried searching but there's so much out there I get lost in all the choices. They don't need to be well known, just interesting in your opinion.

My fav styles are fantasy/sci-fi, nothing overly realistic. And preferably clean, as in no H or constantly repeated sexual themes/intense gore. Dark or mature themes are fine.

You shouldn't be so disheartened by having to catch up to the current issue. In my opinion, it would be better to read a manga that has been out for a while already because you can read a lot without having to stop and start as the issues are released. Don't you agree?

Fenn
    That's true. But if I look at a Naruto or Full Metal Alchemist, it'll be months and months before I could actually start discussing those series. Its not like I can read a book a day, not to mention buying them all (even used).

I suppose I could look on the other manga suggestions thread. It would be more convenient to have the next issue already out instead of waiting.

I don't know what genre (beside fantasy/sci fi) you like, but a couple nice, short series by Kaori Yuki: Godchild has only seven volumes, and while it's nice to read the four volume Cain Saga which precedes it, it's not necessary to understand and enjoy series. She also did an interesting series based on faeries called Faerie Cube. Only 3 volumes.

But, my personal favorites are Rg Veda by CLAMP (10 volumes) and Takeru: Susanoh, Sword of the Devil (4 volumes total.)
    Rg Veda is a fantasy based loosly (and I mean EXTREMLY loosly) on some of the tails of the religious stories Rig Veda. But what it really boils down to is a fantasy story of a bunch of characters trying to break the wheel of fate and choose their own destiny. Beautiful graphics, and you see how CLAMP improves each volume. Takeru is really awesome: it's got a lot of action, fantasy, and a little bit of science (not a lot, but a little.)

Anyway, I hope these suggestions help. If you're not into "girl" manga, your bet is Takeru.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by 180
    I don't know what genre (beside fantasy/sci fi) you like, but a couple nice, short series by Kaori Yuki: Godchild has only seven volumes, and while it's nice to read the four volume Cain Saga which precedes it, it's not necessary to understand and enjoy series. She also did an interesting series based on faeries called Faerie Cube. Only 3 volumes.

But, my personal favorites are Rg Veda by CLAMP (10 volumes) and Takeru: Susanoh, Sword of the Devil (4 volumes total.)
    Rg Veda is a fantasy based loosly (and I mean EXTREMLY loosly) on some of the tails of the religious stories Rig Veda. But what it really boils down to is a fantasy story of a bunch of characters trying to break the wheel of fate and choose their own destiny. Beautiful graphics, and you see how CLAMP improves each volume. Takeru is really awesome: it's got a lot of action, fantasy, and a little bit of science (not a lot, but a little.)

Anyway, I hope these suggestions help. If you're not into "girl" manga, your bet is Takeru.
    Awesome! I never even thought of looking for SHORT series. Common sense fail. I think I'll take a look. Thanks!

101 Dalmations Member Arashi500's Avatar
    Hellsing's author's new manga Drifters is only 18chp. out. So far enjoyable.

Fenn
    Another suggestion! Thanks!

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Ao no Exorcist (Blue Exorcist). Only 5 volumes out so far and it's rather interesting so far (at least the 18 or so chapters I've read so far). It's going to be localized by Viz and it's still fairly new in Japan as well so you can easily pick up this series. Genre is more fantasy, action and a bit of horror (dealing with demons and stuff).

I hope you haven't written off long series completely. There's some really great long series out there that I highly recommend like Battle Angel Alita (aka Gunnm). The first series was just 10 volumes but the second series is now in the about 15 volume right now. From the looks of it, it may end in several more volumes but we'll see how it goes. This one is sci-fi, btw.