Page 20 of 119 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Thread: The Musicians Thread: Only wonderwall covers from now on

Okay cool.

edit:
    Uh I made this quick sort of thing. I haven't finished it or added like a chorus or whatever but I just thought I'd see if you could work with it, James.
    http://yourlisten.com/channel/conten...t%20Eighth
    Last edited by Hayashida; 08-08-2011 at 01:46 AM.

Okay

http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/100517/90s%20tune

Made that super quick. Sounded like something out of the 90s so thats what I called it. Also lol at my shitty organ playing

John are you listening to my little airport.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Guys, quick question: does it piss you off when you play something cool, but then someone tells you it wasn't good because there was "no passion" or "no soul" in it? I find those kinds of comments stupid as hell. That's like saying something isn't charming enough.

Yeah. Why whats up.

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    Guys, quick question: does it piss you off when you play something cool, but then someone tells you it wasn't good because there was "no passion" or "no soul" in it? I find those kinds of comments stupid as hell. That's like saying something isn't charming enough.
    no it's not

it's like saying someone's writing reads like it was written by a storytelling machine

or like someone's artwork was just there for no reason and meant nothing and rendered everything in realism like a photograph

it's accusing you of being superficial and not putting your own personality into things through minor variances in a song
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    I think it's pretty pretentious for someone to sit there and assume that of an artist. Mostly because there is no way to measure these things. Besides, I'm sure the artist has a better idea of how much "personality" he put into his own work than some third party.

Let me propose a hypothetical:

Say I wrote a song from scratch, entirely from my own mind. I had personally never heard anything like it. Yet, when I introduced it to the public, they pointed out that another song that sounds extremely similar already existed. Even though my song was entirely of my own conception, it could very well be considered "superficial" or "meaningless" because my personal tastes and personality just happened to coincide with someone else's. This is HIGHLY likely on a planet of nearly 7 billion.

Anyway, in order to make my song more "personal", I'd have to tweak it against the judgment of my personal tastes to appeal to some third party. Wouldn't that make it //less// personal? Because I'm tweaking my original vision just to convince someone else it has personality.
    Last edited by CypressDahlia; 08-15-2011 at 01:35 AM.

It's not something to be taken seriously imo. I take it a backwards compliment basically. They might as well say, "I have no way to criticize this that isn't abstract and misleading." To me that's a good thing.

Well it's just like making comics, you have to appeal to the masses and make stuff they want to see or you're gonna get pulled and they'll make you wrap up your story in 1-3 issues.