Page 69 of 120 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379119 ... LastLast

Thread: The Musicians Thread: Only wonderwall covers from now on

The notes in a chord come from the scale of the note of the chord you're playing. Like a G chord comes from the notes of a G Major scale. A G minor chord comes from the G minor scale. The chords are based on the sound starting from the base note of the chord. If you start with a C note, the notes that follow after to make a C major chord are E and G. If you change the E to an E minor, it becomes a C minor chord because of the sound of it. Idk if that answers what you're asking.

Um a chord is constructed of notes from the same scale and its different depending on the chord and scale.

A G major chord is G B D which is the first, third, and fifth notes of the g major scale right. The extra G B D you play are just the same notes in different octaves so they sound nice together.

So for C its the same situation.

For minor chords its actually based on the position of the note in the scale. Chords built starting on the first, fourth and fifth notes of the scale are always major. Chords built starting on the second, third and sixth notes of the scale are always minor.

Uh for E minor do you know about relative minors.

Edit: john u suck

y do i suck

Its not called a base note its a root note if you say base it sounds like bass.

whatevah

Okay, I half understand your explanations but bear in mind I have as much music training as a small monkey. What exactly is a scale for a note and how do you go about working out which notes are in a scale for a particular root note? Or is it just memorisation?

EDIT: I mean I know a scale is just a collection of notes I'm not that terrible
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

All chords are based on their major diatonic scale.

Edit: This guide is really good

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lesso...ml?no_takeover
    Last edited by jubeh; 07-02-2012 at 05:50 PM.

This is starting to make me think I should just get music theory for dummies or something

Listen at ur level just find out what chords are in the key you are playing in and then go to town

Man I don't just want to learn the instrument I want to understand how it all fits together and why Stairway to Heaven sounds rad and some dude hitting a guitar with a rock sounds shit

Because really learning to play the guitar would be a matter of dexterity, muscle memory, and accumulating techniques, like any other instrument but music theory lets you compose and rework and all the really cool stuff