Thread: Applying various art styles to manga?

Hybrid View

Applying various art styles to manga?

A few days ago, I realized the huge gap between manga and realism - maybe since I never really took too many opportunities to draw realism - but I've decided to just go at realism for a while, and I think everyone here should try drawing nothing but realism for a week. You might ask me why, and before you do, the answer is simple: try applying it to manga. Besides that, I want to try painting as well, mainly because I painted one time and it came out pretty well. I, as usual, encourage everyone to try these styles, however I don't want anyone to lose their interest in manga. So here's a small challenge I prepared for myself, and for anyone who wants to try various styles of art:
    Day 1: Cubism
    Day 2: Shading/No outlines
    Day 3: Abstract
    Day 4: Realism
    Day 5: Anatomy/No epidermis
    Day 6: Realistic Animals/Fur
    Day 7: 3 Dimensional/"Popping Toward You" Art
    I wish whoever decides to work on this schedule luck, or even more, ability.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    It's an interesting plan. It's also a great way to try new styles and inject it into your own way of drawing.

Have you ever read Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics? He has an interesting diagram where he maps out the drawing styles. One area is realistic, the other abstract, and another point is more stylistic and cartoony. Here, check it out:

I only mention this because your post reminded me of it and I think you might like it. Anyways, if you haven't read that book, pick it up sometime. It's a good read.

101 Dalmations Member angel_dreamer13's Avatar
    I normally draw mainly realism anyway. it's addicting. you should definitely try it out

I always try new style's but always thinking in what I want and what references I'm using (there is no style that born from 0).

The way the pyramid resembles the different art styles and spectrum to reality to simplicity is really amazing.