Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Badass, Realism and Fantasy.

Badass, Realism and Fantasy.

How many times have you played a game where the main character grab a machine gun with one hand? Or were all the character look pretty and almost girly? Or a realist game, but with weird gravity (you float while you jump)?

This is the thread to comment how videogames that try to have a realism fails in a mayor scale just because some details (sometimes big details).

At the momento for my would be Oblivion, because I can levitate in the stairs (and I don't think I have a skill for that). Also GTA IV with Niko Belic "Iron-Elbow" who can break any cars window without destroying his own elbow.

Also this is to discuss some desitions made in games, when designers or companies chose badass impossible weapons to look cool or girly character with fantasy and useless weapons to look cool.

Im going through a lets play of Dirge of Cerberus and it has some ridiculous fantasy situations in some places, but is incredibly inconsistent. Like in one cutscene vincents gun is strong enough to blow up a helicopter but it takes like 6 shots to take down normal scrub soldiers. Also in the cutscenes he can jump 50 feet into the air but in the game he cant jump over anything.

Anyway I always wondered how dudes in beat'em'up games could punch so many people so often. Like if you've ever punched anything in your life you know that it hurts your knuckles badly. And some of these dudes dont even wear gloves.

GTA: San Andreas; You couldn't die if you fell in water, no fall damage either. seriously, you could jump off a ten story building into a swimming pool and it's like nothing happened. jump out a harrier jet at max altitude with no parachute into a lake, again perfectly fine.
    I have no problem with you spanking me. However, I have a huge problem with you not spanking me...

There are too many things like that in video game:
    - Halo: Why a superman like Master Chief couldn't jump well? To take a better aim at those hard to reach vents?
    - Gears of Wars: Stupidity... Why bother wearing that heavy looking bulky armor if you never bother to wear any kind of helmet?
    - Item inventory in RPG game: You could only bring 5 (or 15) of each item, but you could bring more than 100 kind of items and 50 type of equipments.
    - Resident Evil: A grenade launcher take one item slot, but why a tiny single key also take one item slot...
    - MGS 3 and 4 (and any other game): Where do you keep all those weapons, items, and equipments?

@Jubeh:
    Actually, it's pretty consistent, because human is stronger than machine in FF world (that's why most people still prefer sword over gun, etc etc). And perhaps I remembered it wrong, but Vincent jumps down, not jumps up. And in the game, there is no die because of falling from high place (though there is no such place in the game anyway).

But yeah, there's lots of strange things in video games anyway, to make sure the game is balanced/interesting/to design game easier...

Quote Originally Posted by LVUER View Post
    - Gears of Wars: Stupidity... Why bother wearing that heavy looking bulky armor if you never bother to wear any kind of helmet?
    So they can see snipers better.

I like in rpgs how you can carry 3 armors, 4 swords, 2 blunts, etcetera, like you millions of pokets to put all these things (because you never see if your character have a bag) and you are extremly strong to carry all of these stuffs.

Gears of War: Is funny how the only guy who use a helmet dies always.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    I like in rpgs how you can carry 3 armors, 4 swords, 2 blunts, etcetera, like you millions of pokets to put all these things (because you never see if your character have a bag) and you are extremly strong to carry all of these stuffs.

silent hill for the psp you could hold as much as you want so you end up with like 20 TV's loads of random poles and stands but you never see them or where he puls them from

Jubeh:
    Actually, it's pretty consistent, because human is stronger than machine in FF world (that's why most people still prefer sword over gun, etc etc). And perhaps I remembered it wrong, but Vincent jumps down, not jumps up. And in the game, there is no die because of falling from high place (though there is no such place in the game anyway).
    Im not going to link the opening cutscene because it is like 6 hours long but it is right in there. Him zooming through the air like captain marvel.

And if humans are stronger than machines, then why does the first boss have a life bar ten times longer then every other enemy in the stage when it is clearly a machine.

Almost all game have that realistic inventory problem issue. FF, Wild Arms, MGS, Tomb Raider, etc, etc... Game that have the most realistic inventory system is the latest (and disappointing) Alone in the Dark. Earth Bound also have somewhat realistic inventory system, though they treat all items to have same size and weight.

@Seiko:
    You mean so they could know better how sniper bullet taste like? ^_^

@Jubeh:
    Because it's a boss. In most RPG, human IS stronger than machine. I mean if not, how could a mere human destroy lots and lots of mechanical enemies and boss...

Anyway, forget what I said about FFVII_DOC. A game would always have that inconsistency. What I was talking is more about the "real" FF consistency.
    Last edited by LVUER; 01-29-2011 at 08:22 PM.

@Seiko:
    You mean so they could know better how sniper bullet taste like? ^_^
    Nope

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand
    P.much this.