Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: no one draws manga on manga tutorials

We've gone over the semantics of "manga" before on MT. It's just the Japanese word for "comic" but often refers to the fairly distinctive, if broadly-defined, style of art--and even that isn't a solid definition (see: Avatar: The Last Airbender is/is not an anime debates).

The manga/anime section sees its share of content--just not as frequently as the general discussion topics. Ram had a full 50-page chapter up at one point, which I proofread, but he sort of disappeared afterward. Sutari wrote a couple chapters of Claymaker, Gunzet did Triple-Flip, Evil Cake did Louise, Reg did one that I can't remember the title of at the moment, Sho recently did a series of short comics, and way back, I remember a thing called Solana that I was pretty interested in. I also tried my hand at a manga a couple times, but got frustrated at my lack of artistic skill both times and stopped two or three pages in.

Most of the older members here joined with a starter style of manga/anime/desuderp. As time has gone on, we've all evolved and became interested in other styles, our influences and interests have mushed together to create our own style. Some of the manga influences can still be seen in some of our art, but at the end of the day most of us have stayed because it's a community. As for the newer members, as people have said before me, they do have the manga style. Probably because they've been looking at -gasp- the ~MANGA TUTORIALS~. The site is FULL TO THE BRIM of tutorials, just because a lot of us don't draw manga, doesn't mean we're not interested in it. Each and every one of us are entitled to draw what we like as long as it fits the forums rules. Even when I joined, which was back in '05, around 60-70% of artists didn't draw in the cliche 'Manga' style. My advice to you, Apples? If ya don't like it then you don't need to look. <:

~but I also respect your right to discuss this 'issue'~

no one ever said people on this site "only" need to draw in osamu influenced style with the big round eyes and the stereo typical anime look, but don't you find it funny that the vast majority draws in a way that would not be categorized as manga/anime style on a site called "manga tutorials"?

also for the argument that manga are "just" comics backwards is a load of crap. Anyone can tell that there are very distinctive features in a manga that comics( refering to western comics) don't have.

Whilst I agree that there are stylistic differences beyond it simply being in reverse, what about Japanese authors who do not follow the stylistic norms?

Nihei is a prime example.

Does his work not count as "manga", because he ignores Osamu influences?

Not trying to shoot you down. Just saying it's a very vague word that doesn't really refer to one style, is all. Even in Japan itself.

You could probably discount people who totally utilize Marvel, Dc, Disney or even Warner Brothers (ala the batman cartoons) stylization as not being very "manga", but they are still a massive rarity here...

And personally, I would not want some person telling me what my style is and isn't supposed to look like anyway. The reason why alot of us got into manga in the first place is because it offers a wider range of experiences than just the western fanbase alone.

Thus, after taking in influences from the world as a whole, people with styles neither here nor there are bound to emerge.

As they should. That's inspiration, creativity and artistic freedom in a nutshell. :3

the part about manga is beyond just a reversed comic is another argument unrelated to the first.
    Of course styles that ignore osamu influences can still be counted as manga.

my first statement just refers to the fact that for being a manga tutorial website, it is unfortunate that the members don't have a more manga/anime influenced style. mind as well call it drawing tutorials or comic tutorials.

You do realise that the typical manga style was completely derived from Disney cartoons right?

Also, like I said before; there are many tutorials on the site. The forums, however, don't have to 100% reflect this.
    i wake up every morning and brush my teeth with rainbows after i piss excellence and wash my face with glory

Quote Originally Posted by apples13 View Post
    the part about manga is beyond just a reversed comic is another argument unrelated to the first.
    Of course styles that ignore osamu influences can still be counted as manga.

my first statement just refers to the fact that for being a manga tutorial website, it is unfortunate that the members don't have a more manga/anime influenced style. mind as well call it drawing tutorials or comic tutorials.
    It's more sort of half way inbetween, is what I was trying to say to you...

The fanbase for western comics is it's own specific entity. You won't find many super-hero inspired comics here at all.

So the distinction is important, even if the exact word that people ended up using is technically wrong or overly ambiguous.
    Last edited by Regantor; 04-23-2013 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aether View Post
    You do realise that the typical manga style was completely derived from Disney cartoons right?
    but we don't see much of that either

Disney-influenced drawings tend to end up on Disney-influenced forums.

Perhaps it's best that I just summarize my argument as "Manga-influenced tutorials isn't as catchy."

Quote Originally Posted by Regantor View Post
    Disney-influenced drawings tend to end up on Disney-influenced forums.

Perhaps it's best that I just summarize my argument as "Manga-influenced tutorials isn't as catchy."
    THIS makes me sad