Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lucifer's Art Underworld: I'm back!

Hybrid View

Lucifer's Art Underworld: I'm back!

So yeah I'm back, here is my crappy speedpaint. Please tell how to get better, especially with colours and the blending of them.

I present to you, the Eridanian Leopard.
    Last edited by Lucifer; 05-04-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Don't focus too much on blending off the bat. Practice laying down swatches of color to build form first. Trying to blend off the bat, instead of creating volume, tends to create chunky, round playdough looking results. So focus on getting down large swatches of values first, then blend. Sometimes, though, blending isn't necessary. Sharp contrast helps to create firmness in your shapes, as opposed to soft, blotchy looking shapes.

A really easy way to adjust color/lighting on the fly is to use Overlay and Multiply layers. So get into the habit of using those, too. If you meet me on the GB, I can help you w/ value sketching. IMO, it's better to start off greyscale, then Overlay color.
    Last edited by CypressDahlia; 01-28-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Well on a quick note, try sketching the light first.. on the arm that's more towards us, as well as the dorcal claw, The light scheme is directly behind him as the glow shined to anything that touches the back, on the claws and tail it's directly above the beast, the teeth is a light from the 4th wall and the shadows indicate three new glows as well (a close up from the 4th wall and two average distances from above, one over the tail, pointing to the head and one from the head pointing to the elbow) As well the tail tip is in shadow as if he is in a spot light... it's inconsistent...

Anyways, that's all I see personally. But looks great anyways

Great job on the texture work with the brushes!

Aside from what Cyp has said, your value and the colours you have picked up are rather limited, by that I mean they are not stretch out far enough to create a diverse set of palette.

Mostly make the high like brighter and the shades a lot darker, and fix some issues with the lighting. Hope this helps you C:.

@Maxx, thanks for pointing out the lighting issue. I wasn't really aware of my inconsistency (it's really the arm that bugs me lots).

@Iccy, I think the lacking colour palette is due to my insecurity when using colours. I don't want to go overboard and ruin it, so I tend to stick to what I feel is not over the top, which is, as you have pointed out, way below the top and therefore just as bad. But thanks for pointing that out. (Also thanks for that repaint/crit paint, you made my creature look a whole lot more lifelike and menacing :P)

@Cype, I have seen people do that. Starting out with big swatches, and I have tried, but I can't seem to create the form I want once I start blotting in colours. I'd be glad to follow your training Perhaps you could also shed some light on the creation of entities through silhouette rendering and such techniques, as I'm having immense difficulty with that. (Whenever my imagination doesn't bum out on me, my techniques do and the whole picture ends up failing epically).

Basically, I know that I have my issues but how I was thought to colour lighting was to actually draw a dot where the light is from, that way you will remember where it hits, and think about whats overshadowing what...for instance, is the front view of the arm like> or more like an inverted L That would also effect the lighting

I'm back! For now...

Yeah, don't expect this to be permanent. I know I can't make myself put out work at regular intervals, it'll be hectic like the old days.

Without further ado.

Mr Roboto (A randomness concept that popped out of nowhere)
    Btw this is one is not a picture to be taken very seriously...

Crash (A painting that came from nowhere)
    This one on the other hand...

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Stuff looks great. And like I already said, massive improvements since the last time. Your stuff seems to actually pop out now. compared to the monster above which looks a bit flat. You're at a step I was at once, and it just took a while to finally get used to things.
    All you're really lacking is some detail and sharpening things. Once you hit that level you'll be set, and let the epicness flow. Keep it up and POST MORE DAMIT! You need to draw draw draw bro.

Diggin' it man, your stuff is awesome!

And now, for a return to mediocrity. I found this when I was looking through my Concept Art Folder.

What should I do with it?