Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I spoze I'm here..

Red face I spoze I'm here..

OH FLIPPITY FLAB. I forgot that I was supposed to name it with my name...oh...haterage me, I guess. <<

This particular one is a real life study. Man, colors are a bitch when it comes to translating them to a computer. SO MANY HUES. AND IT'S SO GREEEEEEEEN. That's all I can say. Anyway, any thoughts on this? It took me about an hour; it's the doorknob to the left o' me.

i really like the door nob its very realistic
    and it only took you an hour? damn lol

if you are having a slight bit of trouble with colours then you could have a look at this
    http://purplekecleon.deviantart.com/...rial-184642625
    (if it dosent show click the download link)

cant exactly give a critic because we dont have the real thing to look at
    but i think the door-nob (lol) dosen't seem perfectly shaped like the lower left of the knob should be slightly thinner

sorry i cant give you a general critic so all i can suggest is to look at that link to understand abit more aobut colour

For the wood grain on the door, due to the way you colored it, it looks more like the door is made of fur rather than wood. As for the doorknob, it's pretty good but for brass/brass-colored doorknobs, there should be white visible at the brightest points. I highly suggest going back to your references -- if you were using any, that is -- or reference real objects if you didn't use references.

I agree the door kinda looks like fur... The choice of color is good, but its best if you did not put too much pen strokes for the door...
    Lessen it up so it would give a sense of solidity....

The doorknob's color and shade in my opinion are great....As for the Keyhole's Base (the ring that holds the keyhole in it)...
    try to put it a tiny bit more to the left... for me its kinda out of perspective a bit..

Last comment, You did this in one hour... For me that means you have a great sense of observation... It can get you very far but Realistic art should not be rushed.. You should give time and Absorb it more. With your skill, if you would've sticked to it another hour or so, it would look very impressive... Good art nonetheless...

Axion: Thanks for the link! I've actually had color theory...but what I mean is is that it's not always easy to divine the right hue and saturation from real life with such low lighting. (My eyes are pretty bad.) Granted, I'm sure it just takes practice, but it's one of those things where it's like, "Wagrahhh!" Thank you. Yea....and my doorknob shape is a little fail. XD

Ceta: I beg to differ on the white. :P It was, very clearly, a yellow color, especially in such dark lighting. If you take a photograph, you'll see that it's white, but if you look at it, even now, it's not white...the light reflected is of a yellow hue. My reference object is left o' me....llike I stated in my post....go look at one of your own doorknobs of a brass color in low lighting and see it for yourself. Light is also relative to the objects around it; I.e., if I have blue walls, it will reflect the blue that is in them, and I'd have blue on the doorknob. However, I can see your point about the it looking a little fur-like due to the softer edges. Thanks for taking the time to review my art.

Crimson: Mmmm, for the wood...yes, and no about the strokes. My door is...well, pretty funky. There are a ton of hatch-like markings all over the door, actually, which is what made it a little harder to paint. Granted, I didn't do every line like it is in rl...cuz the type of wood is kinda full of lame. With how close the "shot" is...well, if you get up close to the knob, you see how "speckyledoo" it is. But, the edges are too soft and I think that's part of the problem, perhaps? You're right that the keyhole is skwered there...lol. As for doing it in one hour...XD Well, you gotta realize one thing. *Smiles* I'm in college right now. Most weeks, I have to do at least four projects of realism, most of which take 5-7 hours. So, this was more of a speedpaint. Sorta, get out there and get a feel for something other than pencil. But, if I had spent more time on this, yea, I suppose to the results could have been a lot better. *Stares more at the wood and sees more ways to improve it.* Oh....I also see some things I missed with such low lighting. Oh well. It prolly would have been better if the wood was crisper. What a weird thing to paint...wood...when it's just not that crisp. Thanks for your thoughtful post.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    Ceta: I beg to differ on the white. :P It was, very clearly, a yellow color, especially in such dark lighting. If you take a photograph, you'll see that it's white, but if you look at it, even now, it's not white...the light reflected is of a yellow hue.
    I guess it's one of those need-to-see-it-to-believe-it sort of things. The lighting in the picture you drew doesn't indicate that you did this in low light, so it seems impossible that the brightest yellow areas don't have a spot where the light is most intense (even if it's not entirely white). If you take a picture of it in the original light setting and post it, that would help a lot.

My reference object is left o' me....llike I stated in my post....go look at one of your own doorknobs of a brass color in low lighting and see it for yourself.
    So you know, not all homes are made the same. That said, my place doesn't have brass doorknobs; I'm going off of memory.

Of course all homes aren't the same. But you seemed very sure of what you were talking about. There is a light spot, as you can see, with the yellow. Granted, that would only be due to the one particular spot with the lamp, which was the lightest. I'm afraid you'll just have to take my word for it and leave it at that. ^^

While I'm on this post, I'll post another one.

First off, however, I'd like to mention that the shape of the DS is full of fail, and so are my boxes. The foreground is very dark...I need to add more stuff to it. Also, I need to fix the cord/knob thing on the back of the DS, so I am aware of this issues and will be fixing them. ^^

Anyone know any good wood painting tutorials/thoughts on how to improve the wood?

But you seemed very sure of what you were talking about.
    That's pretty rude of you to say. While my place doesn't have brass doorknobs, it doesn't mean I've never seen or drawn them. My parents' house has quite a few of them and I've looked at them until the day I moved out so I know exactly what brass looks like in many different lighting situations and even at the most worn.

this is way better than the doorknob

I'm glad you think so, Cake! I actually ended up working with the squares again...but it didn't quite work out. However, I did fix up the problem with the cable, so the angle is a lot more fitting.

I think it improved quite a bit. ^^