Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your profession?

Hybrid View

What is your profession?

Hey guys!

A lil thread just to discuss what we all do for a living! Are you a student, if so what are you studying/what do you hope to be? Do you already work, if so where and doing what?

I'll start <:
    Surprisingly, I work in a Primary school. (Elementary for you Americans) I'm a teaching assistant and I work part time. My job is so laid back, it's awesome. Basically i'm paid to sit and draw/do crafts with kids for a living. The politics of a school between the staff wear me down sometimes. I'm the youngest by about 20 years and instantly that makes me 'less experienced and a little girl'. I never knew how political a school is, and it actually disgusts me to think these people are teaching our kids of tomorrow. So in August i'm going back to study to be a Teacher <:

Your turn!!

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I'm a student, major is graphic design. I'm working towards a career as a concept artist, though I'm working numerous skills at once (personal art/ concept art, graphic design, traditional design)

I've also been a teaching assistant with a teacher I bonded with back in 2008. I've been going there helping the students with 3D sculpting programs such as Zbrush and Sculptris for two years. I stopped this year, as I was 'promoted' to Chairman of the art committee at the school, I don't even have to do much, lol.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    I work two part time jobs so i basically work full time.

My first job is a part time packer in a factory. I work PC (potato chips) and the job I do involves packing the correct amount of bags into boxes, labeling, product quality ensurence (which includes eating chips to make sure its the right product in the right bag and tastes how it should), checking for bag defects so product doesnt stale before its exp date, cleaning machinery that delivers the chips to the bagging machines to prevent cross contaminaton of allergens, plus other stuff that is more related to safety of the factory and the other workers. the job is fun and there is pretty much constant work. standing for 7hrs and having to bend twist push with a majority of your body gets exhausting though. have to stretch and make sure I am being as ergonomically safe as possible at all times because ive seen how bad it can get with back injurys and carpel tunnel.

My second job is a retail store job. I clean the floors so its safe to shop, i restock merch so people can find what they need, i stock new product, customer service, and cashiering. Retail is easy as long as you arent held to a personal sales quota. Customers complain even though my store is a single price point retailer that our prices are ridiculous. Moving up is a hassle and not worth it to me anymore. I keep this one for now because i am pn probation for my first job still and i have health insurance through this second job. its not good insurance but its something.

Once i pass the probation period for my first job i will be quitting my second.

I would like to go back to school but idk what for.
    Last edited by Psy; 03-21-2013 at 03:11 PM.

HAUH

Wait nvm salesman

I'm a full time bum. Oh wait no I'm working on a survival horror game project with one of the dudes who worked on Dishonored and another guy who's super boss at making uber leet environments and another guy who's expressing interest in composing for us (did part of the score for SWTOR at BioWare).

I'm a Sign Tech for Goodwill. Basically I do large format printing (signage, vehicle wraps;etc...) projects from start to finish. I get to design, lay out, take the job to pre-press, print, do the production/ assembly and install on site. We do internal jobs & outside work as well. The external jobs are awesome because I get to do more graphic design. It was the best design gig I could get (so far) without a degree.

I also do about 2 or 3 analog game illustrations a year on a 'mercenary' contract. The company I merc. for is budding, but I've done a few card designs & one awesome board game design. The shelved the cards, but plan on putting the board game into production soon (I hope). I've also did a comic to promote the card game that got shelved. It sucked though because they wouldn't let me do manga. I like working with them because I'm getting exp & my name out there to other gaming companies. Plus they hooked me up with a sweet PC, pay for my Adobe CS & all the supplies I need to do my illustrations. Except that damn tablet I want...

Oh yeah, I'm 1st Disciple of Ryozenpakai! No wait. I mean to say, my Ma Family Wu Style Taiji Chuan school. I get free acupuncture treatments & about $90 to $200 a month for the one class I teach weekly.All of my advanced students are big time upity ups: 3 district attorneys, a judge, another retired DA, a retired child psychologist, 3 dudes who write frickin code for big corps. & one guys who's head of CIGNA dental insurance in middle TN.
    Last edited by Black_Shaggie; 03-21-2013 at 04:59 PM.

omg kenichi reference r u my daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    omg kenichi reference r u my daddy
    Hey, that's one of my favorite shows dude. I dig how Kenichi 'evolves' as a martial artist & doesn't even realize how hardcore he is. Plus MA street fighting gangs of delinquent teenagers? It's a flashback to my youth...

I trim bushes and wash cars at an airport, write campaigns for a friend's D&D thing, and I'm currently applying for a job as an editor.

i drive busses