Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What pens to use?

Copic does make inking pens, as well as markers. And their markers are worth every goddamn penny, so much fun to color with.

And instead of just a brush pen - which in my experience have always been kind of novel, and it's nice that you don't have to clean up but never something you'd really want to use on a finished piece - you might consider getting a watercolor brush and a nice bottle of india ink. If you have the money I'd recommend Windsor and Newton Series 7 Brushes, but almost any brushes that you find at your art store will work. As for ink almost any india ink is good, I think I use Higgins but am not 100% sure. I know some artists such as Jim Lee like to use something like this, and they just pour the ink on their paper and spread it out.

Regular brush pens can look streaky if you're trying to fill in a big area
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

スクールシャーペンだけ使います。

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Top View Post
    Faber-Castell PITT pens I think are what I used to use. Dickblick is probably one of the best places to shop for art supplies on the internet, a set of 4 Faber-Castell PITT pens on there costs $7, Set of 6 Sakura Pigma microns for around $11, and $30 for a set of 4 Copic multiliner SP pens.
    I highly suggest PITT pens for dyeing and drawing fabrics. I have been using them to draw on canvas shoes for the last 6 years now, and the pigment has lasted me years of running around in rain puddles. However, they are not my favorite for working on paper, because the streak a lot and the brush tip is quite small to avoid streaking. The color range is also rather dark and saturated, so it's harder to do lighter, ethereal-themed work. They are good for bold, bright, crisp, and graphic stuff though.

Personally, I really enjoy Staedtler inking/technical pens. I think on a price point, they're fairly similar to Faber-Castell. I found Microns to be a little dry for me.
    I also recommend refillable pens, like a rapidograph, or dip pens. I've been using dip pens more than anything for inking lately, I use it with waterproof ink and it works quite well. It's also nice having such a wide array of nibs. It's a bit more to take care off and there's a small learning curve, but it works for me.