Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IParmageddon, What it is, Why it Matters, and how to fix it.

IParmageddon, What it is, Why it Matters, and how to fix it.

Supposedly the world is nearly out of IP Adresses for IPv4(what nearly every computer or device uses. Then what? Well Its not really known what happens next. For more check this out. You wont immediately be unable to connect the day they run out due to the fact your ISP most likely has many IP addresses reserved for new devices, but when those run out it could be a dark day for the internet. The main problem is the lack of support for IPv6 which as said in the article has been around since windows 98. It uses 128 bit addresses which are much longer and thus have more combinations (IPv4 are 32 bit)
    Discuss!
    I personally think this is going to be very very very bad. I think it needs to be much bigger of a concern than it currently is right now.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Unless we convert to IPv6, then I guess we're pretty much screwed. Either that or companies will make us pay more just to access the internet if there is a limited amount of IPs available. <_<

Regardless, if they want IPs, I say they take down spammers who use specific IPs to send out their crap.

Nah, don't worry really, people will make new technology to solve that problem (eventually). If IPv6 is bad, then people will turn into other solution. Besides, we have South Korea, country in the best internet technology.

I heard that they have found connection even faster than 3G (not 4G, I forget the name). It's about 40 times faster than 3G... isn't that awesome ^_^

I don't think the end user would have to worry about that too much. The ISP providers will just switch the technology. They probably already have the needed equipment to do so and some of them provied both IPv4 and IPv6 address.

LVUER I don't know what you're talking about. 3G, 4G are all wireless connections and are very similar to Wifi and they are very very slow. The fastest one that a home user can get right know is fiber optic - probably around 10Gbps. Many IPS in Europe offer that and in USA I know that FiOS is basicly this. Ofcourse they don't offer 10Gbps because the equipment will be super expensive and most websites don't have that much bandwitch. The highest speed demonstrated with a single fiber optic is around 60Tbps. And I don't think any home user computer will be able to handle something like this anytime soon.
    Last edited by violin; 01-28-2011 at 10:37 PM.

What I mean is that South Korea is the best country to invent internet connection. We just need to wait what will they do to solve the IP problem.

The proof is that when most countries still use 3G, South Korea have already go beyond that.

Really,I had no idea South Korea is so advanced. They should do some government meeting on this, since as weird as it may sounds, the internet has integrated into our lives. Seriously, shit would hit the fan if we lost the internet.

can't they just make that IPv6 for new devices and computers but let old ones keep IPv4 and have them all connect to the same thing?

Or maybe, they should just prepare people and force the world to shut the down the internet for a while, like when people got rid of their antenna sets for cable boxes in the USA . The internet literally needs to be cleaned. Since it's creation, they haven't gotten rid of all the spam from the 80's when it became public. For all we know, it could break from some old lady uploading a video of her cat.

Video of a lady drying her cat by stuffing it inside a microwave?

Quote Originally Posted by Slurpee View Post
    Or maybe, they should just prepare people and force the world to shut the down the internet for a while, like when people got rid of their antenna sets for cable boxes in the USA . The internet literally needs to be cleaned. Since it's creation, they haven't gotten rid of all the spam from the 80's when it became public.
    Wait, what?