Thread: Jingshen's Drawings, Opinions Appreciated

Double Digits Member

Jingshen's Drawings, Opinions Appreciated

Yep, so I would like some critiques based on how my drawings look. Maybe point out any flaws in anatomy, facial features, maybe even critique clothing design. Any advice on how I can improve is greatly appreciated.
    Ok so here are some designs of a character I have been working on.
    A more recent design, and a self-portrait. Anatomy might be a bit blocky in this one. I think the mouths on the two leftmost ones are too low.

Unfinished Sketch of her final design. Also plaid is hard.

I also wouldn't mind some feedback on how she looks as a character too. She is a little plain I guess. I am prone to drawing boring things. I lack the ability to come up with anything exciting. So any suggestions on how to make her more unique would be nice. Also looking back, my lines are a little shaky, guess I'm just out of practice.

Personally I like the cute and animu style you've got going on here. I would like to point out - in the last picture in particular - that the necks are rather thin and... oddly curved. Personally I have always been of the belief that the neck doesn't need to be thinned to extremities to still maintain a 'cute' manga style, so you may want to address that if you feel like it. Since you asked for anatomy, I don't see much muscle development in the legs. Right now they are very linear, like tapered boxes. Look at real human legs and use that to influence your style. I would suggest you pay particular attention to the quadricep muscle group in the upper leg and the gastrocnemius in the lower leg.
    The kombucha mushroom people, sitting around all day.

To add to what Demon said:

Be careful with the giant eyes. When the eyes are THAT big compared to the face, they tend to be place on the side of the head making the character a little alien-like. Try keeping the eye style, but making them smaller (?) Also, making sure your pictures have some symmetry: eyes are at the same height, thickness of legs, arms, and shoulders, etc.

On this last picture, the arms are too long, the neck really noodle-ly and the ear on the right is too low. There should be folds and creases in the sleeves especially where the arms are bent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!