Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Here Read Any Other Comics Aside from Manga?

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar

Anyone Here Read Any Other Comics Aside from Manga?

What comics do you read that aren't manga or mahnwa? As in comics that aren't Japanese or Korean in origin. OEL manga is fine, btw.

Some titles I've read include Blankets, American Born Chinese, Bizenghast, and PsyComm. It's been a long time since I've picked up any titles from Marvel, DC, Image, etc though so I don't really know what's happening in the American comics market. :\

I read american comics. After you read the good ones its hard to return to manga where every problem is solved through sheer willpower and it takes 60 pages to explain something I could have done in 5. Not that all manga is bad.

I really don't know what to recommend though. There's too much to go through. If you want to get reacquainted with superheroes I suggest tracking down 52. It's the most interesting superhero story written in ages. It is basically a comic about a year without superman, batman and wonder woman. So that way it stars a lot of b-listers most people aren't familiar with, but they are written so well it'll make you want to go out and buy their comics.

All Star Superman is probably my favorite comic. It converted me from a superman hater to a die hard fan. I think for most people who grew up during marvel's age of great marketing probably have a hard time understanding why superman is cool. Well ASS is a good example of how you can write a superhero story without it being "gritty" and shit.

But if you like marvel there is always Thor. JSS's Thor run is really good.

I'm reading Ex Machina, The Sandman and Hellboy. Also Ren & Stimpy.

Oh yeah and Walking Dead. And I have readed many more back in my days, but that would eb another long list -.-.
    Last edited by ClockHand; 01-27-2011 at 09:29 PM.

I dont remember if you told me or not, but did you read y the last man.

Yeah man, I think I told you (I probably told you I read all Vaughans comics).

Yeah, Sandman is good. I love Neil Gaiman. And he's sexy and British (which is just a plus all around )

Y the Last Man
    Pirates of Dark Water
    Ninja Scroll (it wasn't in manga style)
    The Crow (original one)
    Batman (well, not anymore, since the books are pretty expensive, I read the old comics)

Can't think of any others...since it's been so long. I liked the X-Men well enough, but only read the old ones my mom had (not the old old ones, but the 1990s ones.)
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

Other than manga and manhwa... and other than Marvel and DC too... I read Indonesian comic (Colony) and webcomic.

For the webcomic, I forget the title. It's about a modern day Valkyrie fighting for ancient gods (which still live until now), the main gimmick is THAT Valkyrie that supposed to be a girl... is a boy (who transformed into a girl). The other is about slice of life, where people is switched with animals. The protagonist is a girl who still use Amiga as her PC. And then she met with a boy who use Windows. And the story ensues.

For the Indonesian comic, I read Garudayana, Xenopet, 4Heroes, and Garudaboi. But they're all only volume 1 (except Garudayana which is at volume 2) and I really doubt it they will release new volumes for those comics.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    52 - do they have that in graphic novel format? It's a bit of a pain to find comic issues generally. I heard about Sandman and that they're also going to do a TV series based on the comic series. I'll see if I can find it...

Anyone read Bone? It was one of the series back in the 90s that was lauded as a good pick-up-from-any-part-of-the-story-and-follow comic book series.

Yeah 52 comes in three volumes I believe. Also sandman is so surreal I dont see how it could work live action without some amazing direction.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Does Maus count?
    My CC thread - Updated 01/30/14
    My AA thread - Updated 03/04/14