Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: I might be going to AnimeBoston -- help!

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    Hmmm, I don't know if there'll be a hoard of Zuko's but if you're having second thought... how about Scar?

You get to have a kickass tattoo too!
    That would be epic, since I just started watching FMA too! I think I'm sticking with Zuko though. I don't mind attention and like I said I'm a rabid Last Airbender fan. But now I have some options.

7 8 9 Member
    Zuko would be epic man! I was going to go as Azula for my next con and try and convince one of my guy friends to go as Zuko with me for the epic fight scene poses (I study Shaolin kung fu, which is what firebending's based on, which made it sound like even more fun) but that fell through.

Anyways, in my experience, there are not a lot of Avatar cosplayers at cons, though they are popular to take pictures with. It's kinda like Sephiroth -- which at my local cons, there's only one cosplayer who cosplays him, but he's fangirled the entire con. As for the scar, try looking into latex skin-color or scar tissue. They come usually in little tubs like playdough and only cost a few bucks. You can then mold them around your eye and cheek. To get the red, try mixing it with a cheap lipliner pencil (99 cents at Walmart, might need to buy a couple different colors to get all the scar) until it turns the right color. Then use regular makeup to blend the edges of the latex to your skin a bit. There's also liquid latex, but I haven't worked with it yet, so I'm not sure how that'll work. With a little practice, you can make it look pretty good though.

Hope that helps, it's kinda hard to explain online. I'm kinda a stage makeup/technical theatre geek, though so if you need help, let me know.

W000000t, Anime Boston! This will be my 7th year attending.

First of all some general con tips. Make sure you feel comfortable in your costume, both physically and mentally. Plenty of people will want to take your picture and if you feel like crap you're not going to feel very good about it. So try to put a lot of effort into your costume! And physically, it's not going to be very fun if you can't move and are in a lot of pain for the entire convention. (Personally I find this one to not be as important, and if I find a pair of shoes that fit my costume perfectly, I will wear them even if they're a size or two too small(true story).) Secondly, if you're going to be staying at the con be sure to bring food! Eating three meals a day at the pru center can get pretty pricey, and you'll want to save your $$ to buy cool overpriced crap in the dealers room! I suggest trying to get your hands on a hot pot and bring some instant ramen, oatmeal, stuff like that! Also crackers and juice boxes, and for meals on the go protein and granola bars.

More AB specific info: If you're over 18 and plan on going to 18+ stuff be sure to have a state issued ID. Also, the AMV contest and the Masquerade sometimes overlap (I think anyways), I would suggest going to the AMV contest, it's much more entertaining and fun!

If theres anything specific you want to know about AB just let me know.

(And if anyone's interested I'd totally be willing to write a con survival thread.)

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Wow! Got any pics Zoe?? I'd like to see ya in costume - hey, a cosplayers thread would be cool! I'm surprised we haven't made on yet.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye53 View Post
    Zuko would be epic man! I was going to go as Azula for my next con and try and convince one of my guy friends to go as Zuko with me for the epic fight scene poses (I study Shaolin kung fu, which is what firebending's based on, which made it sound like even more fun) but that fell through.

Anyways, in my experience, there are not a lot of Avatar cosplayers at cons, though they are popular to take pictures with. It's kinda like Sephiroth -- which at my local cons, there's only one cosplayer who cosplays him, but he's fangirled the entire con. As for the scar, try looking into latex skin-color or scar tissue. They come usually in little tubs like playdough and only cost a few bucks. You can then mold them around your eye and cheek. To get the red, try mixing it with a cheap lipliner pencil (99 cents at Walmart, might need to buy a couple different colors to get all the scar) until it turns the right color. Then use regular makeup to blend the edges of the latex to your skin a bit. There's also liquid latex, but I haven't worked with it yet, so I'm not sure how that'll work. With a little practice, you can make it look pretty good though.

Hope that helps, it's kinda hard to explain online. I'm kinda a stage makeup/technical theatre geek, though so if you need help, let me know.
    It does. I was considering trying it with just costume facepaint, since in the show it didn't seem to have too much "texture," but latex would probably look better! Although...how expensive is it, because my budget is unfortunately super-thin, and it's definitely setting me back.

If you could help me, I need to find clothing like this:

I've been struggling to find a robe/kimono similar to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
    W000000t, Anime Boston! This will be my 7th year attending.

First of all some general con tips. Make sure you feel comfortable in your costume, both physically and mentally. Plenty of people will want to take your picture and if you feel like crap you're not going to feel very good about it. So try to put a lot of effort into your costume! And physically, it's not going to be very fun if you can't move and are in a lot of pain for the entire convention. (Personally I find this one to not be as important, and if I find a pair of shoes that fit my costume perfectly, I will wear them even if they're a size or two too small(true story).) Secondly, if you're going to be staying at the con be sure to bring food! Eating three meals a day at the pru center can get pretty pricey, and you'll want to save your $$ to buy cool overpriced crap in the dealers room! I suggest trying to get your hands on a hot pot and bring some instant ramen, oatmeal, stuff like that! Also crackers and juice boxes, and for meals on the go protein and granola bars.

More AB specific info: If you're over 18 and plan on going to 18+ stuff be sure to have a state issued ID. Also, the AMV contest and the Masquerade sometimes overlap (I think anyways), I would suggest going to the AMV contest, it's much more entertaining and fun!

If theres anything specific you want to know about AB just let me know.

(And if anyone's interested I'd totally be willing to write a con survival thread.)
    Well I'm only going Friday actually (I know, lame), but those are good tips. I can't waith for the dealer's room!

Can you sew a bit? For the undershirt, you can just get a red T-shirt, sew those darker red seams on and then find an outer robe which you can rip the sleeves off of and add the gold/brown lining.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    Can you sew a bit?
    tsh....bf...hahahahahaha!

Not to be rude. I just have no sewing talent.

Fenn, my friend (if I am allowed to call you that), I fret I cannot make it to the convention. Your duty of seeking me is relieved. :P

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by PWhit View Post
    Fenn, my friend (if I am allowed to call you that), I fret I cannot make it to the convention. Your duty of seeking me is relieved. :P
    Aww, that's disappointing! I just got my costume together too! Here's my mini-guide:

HOW TO MAKE A ZUKO COSPLAY: SUPER LOW-BUDGET ECONOMY VERSION

- inexpensive red karate gi
    - black robe, a kimono-style pajama robe preferably (cut off the sleeves)
    - yellow ribbon sewn onto robe
    - (optional cause I havent tried it yet) black socks over shoes
    - red facepaint makeup for scar

I think it will look legit enough that people will recognize me. I'm even growing my hair out. AnimeBoston, here I come!

P.S. yes you can call me friend

Oo-oo! I want photos!