Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I might be going to AnimeBoston -- help!

Hybrid View

Fenn

I might be going to AnimeBoston -- help!

So my friend invited me to go for the first time. If I do, I'm going to have some serious issues. I love anime and draw manga and stuff (so excited to see people's creations), but...I don't really watch anime at all. To add to all that, I'd like to cosplay if I go, but who the heck am I going to be?

Basically, what are some of THE animes that most fans will at least recognize. I've decided to start watching some series from ep 1 (I got started on FMA; damn that opening was creepy), so what are some other suggestions other than Naruto? I enjoy fantasy and sci-fi but anything will do really, also preferable not gory or very suggestive stuff, just not my preference. I've heard Bleach is very good, though there's a lot of episodes...

Also, any info on what I can expect at the convention that isn't on the website would be great.

You love anime, but you don't watch anime? What?

Evangelion is always instantly recognized. Um...you do see a lot of Full Metal (least I did at A-Cen in Rosemont (close to Chi-Town.) Some people try Death Note...but there's not much to the guy's clothes. I think you're a dude, right? Not to say people don't do cross-dressing for cosplay (cause lots do,) but I don't know if you're into that. I hear this Hetalia things is really popular to cosplay...I don't read the manga, though. Uh..fantasy...maybe Tsubasa? If you're looking for something easy, do Spike from Cowboy Bebop-blue suit, yellow shirt, black tie and shoes. Crazy hair, and you're done.

Hope something here is helpful.
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Fairy Tail will most likely be recognized as well:

Other than that, I would think One Piece would be good as well. Anything from Ghibli too as there is always Ghibli fans out there.

Anyways, if it's like any other conventions, go there early. Lines will be long to get tickets. Expect food prices to be high, lots of waiting in lines, lots of people, and when you first get the schedule, I suggest you map out your day. There will be lots of events going on at one time so pick the one you want to attend the most and go there. Events may be spread out over several buildings so expect some walking. Keep hydrated, bring a book bag with you. Please, please take a bath. Lots of people and nerds not taking baths = lots of foul smells. Make sure you have monies as you will probably hit the merchant stalls, right? Bring small change and make sure you don't leave anything behind.

I don't recommend going on the last day, btw, as usually, there's less events going on, the con is winding down and there's generally less energy compared to the other two days. The ticket price will also be cheaper but you'll be attending all three days right?

Drop by the artist alley and check out what everyone has to offer! Be aware that there may be rules like no taking pictures so watch out. Please observe etiquette when taking pictures of people in costume - there's people out there who don't like being randomly glomped. Oh, and have fun!

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayashida View Post
    You love anime, but you don't watch anime? What?
    It's a long, painful story. Not really, I watched Pokemon, Digimon, and Yu-Gi-Oh and that inspired me to start drawing, but afterward I stopped watching. I don't watch a lot of tv anymore really.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Dragon View Post
    Evangelion is always instantly recognized. Um...you do see a lot of Full Metal (least I did at A-Cen in Rosemont (close to Chi-Town.) Some people try Death Note...but there's not much to the guy's clothes. I think you're a dude, right? Not to say people don't do cross-dressing for cosplay (cause lots do,) but I don't know if you're into that. I hear this Hetalia things is really popular to cosplay...I don't read the manga, though. Uh..fantasy...maybe Tsubasa? If you're looking for something easy, do Spike from Cowboy Bebop-blue suit, yellow shirt, black tie and shoes. Crazy hair, and you're done.

Hope something here is helpful.
    Lots, thanks! And I am a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    Fairy Tail will most likely be recognized as well

Other than that, I would think One Piece would be good as well. Anything from Ghibli too as there is always Ghibli fans out there.

Anyways, if it's like any other conventions, go there early. Lines will be long to get tickets. Expect food prices to be high, lots of waiting in lines, lots of people, and when you first get the schedule, I suggest you map out your day. There will be lots of events going on at one time so pick the one you want to attend the most and go there. Events may be spread out over several buildings so expect some walking. Keep hydrated, bring a book bag with you. Please, please take a bath. Lots of people and nerds not taking baths = lots of foul smells. Make sure you have monies as you will probably hit the merchant stalls, right? Bring small change and make sure you don't leave anything behind.

I don't recommend going on the last day, btw, as usually, there's less events going on, the con is winding down and there's generally less energy compared to the other two days. The ticket price will also be cheaper but you'll be attending all three days right?

Drop by the artist alley and check out what everyone has to offer! Be aware that there may be rules like no taking pictures so watch out. Please observe etiquette when taking pictures of people in costume - there's people out there who don't like being randomly glomped. Oh, and have fun!
    Probably just one day actually, I'm busy the other two. Although the last day there is Cosplay Chess which I hear actually draws a big crowd. I expected the long lines and high food prices. I'm really excited for the artists alley since I figure its good inspiration; they did say no photos in there though. Good idea to map out my day. This is definitely helpful.

And I will bathe...

Why do you care about getting recognized. Its way cooler to be a character that you like so the recognition is that much better, and also you wont be stopped as much for pictures.

Instead you should post a picture of yourself so we can just decide who you look like.

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    Instead you should post a picture of yourself so we can just decide who you look like.
    Yes, I concur. Show uuuuuuuuuuus!

Yeah that's a good idea. ^

^True, it would be helpful in giving suggestions.

Oh! I just remembered, a lot of people do video game characters at conventions, too. I saw some Snakes (is that his name, Metal Gear Solid dude?) and lots of Final Fantasy characters. You could go that route.
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

Yeah, video game characters do well too. Kingdom Hearts, Snake (no "s" Blue_Dragon), Final Fantasy, Mario & Luigi, and so on. You can't go wrong with any of the popular ones. Heck, go as Kirby if you want. ;D