Thread: CS6 vs MS5?

CS6 vs MS5?

I hope this is the right place to put this.

Okay so I've been using Adobe for so long that I can't remember. This weekend, I was hanging with an old friend who's also into illustration but more western comics than manga. I asked to see what she was working on and she turns on her Mac & instead of PS6.6 there's Manga Studio 5!
    I was starting to become a bit elitist until I saw the work she'd been producing. Then she let me play around with it and I dunno...it's pretty cool...dare I say easier the "program hopping" I have t o do in PS & AI? Now I'm thinking of getting the basic version. I was jut wondering what yous guys thought about both programs.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    They're both good at what they were meant to do. If you want to make comics, Manga Studio is your best bet. Likewise, PS is still the best for CGing and general purpose graphic software powerhouse.

I see no reason why you can't use more than one software. If you can do something on one easier and faster than another, and the results are either still the same or better than using the other one, then I see no reason why you'd be hesitant to change. :|

I'm not hesitant at all ^_^! In fact, I was planning on doing just that. I just wanted some feedback from yous guys because I'd never used MS5. It seems to me (since I haven't) that you could possibly do both. Yesterday, I looked around on Youtube for tutorials & stuff and, some folks recommended the same as you.

Since I don't do a lot of CGng (yet) in my work, I figure that MS5 might be better for my style, but I'd noticed that some of the tools don't 'get it gone' on CGng like CS can.

Plus I'm so used to CS that I just can't stay away!

Gonna download a copy either this friday or next pay period. I still have a lot of Taiji responsibilities at present, but I'm sure that MS (at the very least) help me with lineart and layout. I really dig the digitones!

I bought the limited version of MS a while back when it was on sale, but to be honest, I've barely used it. The tone library is nice to have, but any time I've been experimenting with toning, I just find myself going back to scanned tone sheets and layering them up in PS. The pen tool in MS is good though. I'm guessing it must have some sort of built-in stabiliser, as it produces a much sharper, smoother line than I've ever been able to get in photoshop and it doesn't lag like the pen in SAI.

Is there a trial version of MS somewhere?

There's a space for it on their website, but it still says "Trial version coming soon", I'm afraid.

http://manga.smithmicro.com/buy.html

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    I've hears several times that MS is only preferable to PS of you are working in black and white—otherwise some people don't feel they got a good value with the program.

I've never used MS, so I don't really have a personal opinion. My guess, though, is that there are ways to rig up your PS workspace to do whatever MS does.

http://fox-orian.deviantart.com/art/...ning-101319199

Uh I used manga studio for a really long time. I liked it more than photoshop for making comics specifically, though I guess technically you could do everything in it with photoshop.

Each panel is its own layers so if you scribble outside of the panels its no big deal at all. All the layering is mostly done for you, and reflects how actual comics are drawn. You have the pencils, inks, colors, etc. If you have any questions I'll answer them.