Thread: Weird to get better at drawing without practice?

Question Weird to get better at drawing without practice?

So something I find weird is,that I have very rarely been drawing because of things like school,anime,etc(procrastinating if you will),and I pretty much draw something at least 3 times....a month...if its a good month/day.

Though when I started really getting into anime/manga and drawing (2 years ago),I watched tutorials etc and practiced non stop.I did that for about 3 months and didn't improve much.So I got into anime,I think at the time it was One Piece to Naruto to Bleach to FairyTale To Hitman Reborn,etc...

And about the time after that 3 month period and then maybe a month of not drawing at all,due to anime and school(other factors here),I.then started to draw.And as weird as it was,I got better.Now every now and then I would refrence a few things,like for proportions,but for the most part,I stopped "practicing" and anime was somehow,teaching me.So I was wondering if this is normal...I just finished "Stein's Gate"(great Anime),and haven't drawn for about a month or more now. And did a quick body sketch,which usually takes me awhile.Yet I free handed it,and did a clothes design sketch within 30 seconds,and it usually takes me about 10 minutes

*Numbers May not be all that acurate,though I hope everyone gets where I'm coming crom*

Just want to discuss this.

I dunno dude. On the one hand I want to say, "Practice is the only way to perfect your skills!" But then again, on the other hand, I know that disciplining one's self to keep up with whatever training/ practice schedule that's set for them can be tough.

But of course, practice can be a mysterious word sometimes can't it? I've experienced the same thing that you've witnessed in other areas of my life---not just art. Why I've taken a whole year off from training in my style of taiji & then picked it back up just like that. In fact, I'd become better.What I think happens is that subconsciously, we're always 'practicing'. I'd consider you watching examples of a genre of art practice or at the very least a study.

Ultimately though, you get back to square one. You have to get out there & exp grind if you want to advance to the next level. BUt yeah, giving your hands a rest for bit while you examine certain styles, lines, CGng etc.. is cool.

But hat do I know? It's always up to you in the end.

It is important to balance observation time and actual technical skill.
    How can you draw something well if you do not know what it looks like?

I think just as you get older you pick up techniques and stuff just from being around and drawing occasionally. Though if you practice you'll get much better much faster.

Lol,ok thanks guys.I was like,Hold on....I definitely couldn't do this before!!! haha

But yeah,I practice,just not as often as I should,though somehow it seems like Im doing it "subconsciously" ,as BlackShaggie stated, when watching different things,anime,etc. Though I am a visual learner,so that might be why...

Anyways,Its interesting to know how "practicing" can work... Thanks for the interesting feedback.

Hmm, interesting... I think that this would be the case of building your visual library (essentially what Apples was saying).

Personally I found this video insightful;

A lot of it speaks of how you go about it, but it has a section in it talking about how the student that observes more tends to find it easier to pick out the details etc of the subject being drawn. Maybe this will help you to bring you closer to a conclusion on your question. However this shouldn't mean that you neglect practice, for without practice you will just slowly trundle along the path of improvement, with practice comes the control of your own learning. Whether that be art, music, science or anything.
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 03-04-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Ying Yang Member
    Part of it might be that you managed to break bad habits you had formed during your time of constant practice. That's happened to me in other areas of life; basketball is one example. I stopped playing for a while after high school, and when I decided to pick it back up, once I dusted off the cobwebs, I found myself improving at a very rapid rate for a while.

It may very well be that you needed that break from drawing in order to consolidate what you had learned, unlearn some bad habits, and start fresh.